Computer Crashed and Won't Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhandy007

Solid State Member
Hello everybody, I was seeking some advice on getting my computer back up and running. A couple of days ago I left going all night to record a television program and the next morning when I tried to get it to boot, it wouldn't. My Goback software uninstalled itself, so I can't revert back to an earlier time. When the computer tries to start windows 98 from the hard drive, the Windows 98 Startup Screen Appears. It has 6 options:
1. Normal
2. Logged
3. Safe Mode
4. Step By Step Confirmation
5. Command Prompt Only
6. Safe Mode Command Prompt Only
And below these choices it says: "Warning: Windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Chose Command Prompt Only and run SCANREG." When I run SCANREG it says that "It found an error in your system files and was unable to fix the problem." Then it says "Try deleting some files to free up disk space. If that doesn't work you need to install Windows to a new directory." I have only used around 10 gigs of the 80 gigs on my hard drive.
Once this happened I ran SCANDISK in normal mode and it found tons of errors and fixed most of them, and I then ran it in thorough mode, but it didn't seem to help either.
When I try to boot in Normal or Safe Modes the computer can't find the WIN.COM file to boot.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter and thank you for your time.

Here are my computer specs:
FIC AN11 Stealth Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 1900+
Crucial DDR PC2100 RAM
PNY Verto Ti200 64MB Video Card
IBM Deskstar 80GIG Hard Drive
Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 Soundcard
Generic Modem
Leadtek Winfast XP2000 TV/FM Tuner
Creative Inspire 5100 Speakers
Samsung 955DF Monitor
and sadly Windows 98

Sounds ..like u really need to reinstall... there might have been a filesystem corruption ... n' ur win.com might have been damaged ..or for that matter .. it mght be a problem with the MBR itself

Could I possibly reinstall Windows over again and maybe preserve my data and files on my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom