PC Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

davegibbon87

Solid State Member
Hey I got a 600mhz celeron pc. It is a coppermine-128. I wish to know how big of a cpu I could thow in this ? I have a Gigabyte GA-6wmm7 motherboard.

Thanks alot for helping out.

ps. I have no reason to buy a new pc because Im not a large gamer, and I could probably get a new cheap cpu from ebay.

BTW the computer I believe is socket 370

you could throw in probably about 700 mhz celeron, MAX, because it only has 100 Mhz FSB compatiblity.

Please be aware that the mobo is from 1999, so dont expect it to be speedy.

Ok thanks but I got another question. I asked on this forum what I could put in it because I didnt understnd this site.
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_GA-6WMM7.htm

Im not sure where my pc lies in the chart becuase some of these pcs are tualatin, p3-celeron, p3-celeron copppermine and they have the same motherboard as me yet there are so many differnt speeds and I dont understand what chip will work for me.

Tualatin and Coppermine are different P3 cores. The Tualatin is the faster one of the two. Your celly is on fairly low on the list of supported processors. The fastest proc that Gigabyte guarentees compatibility with is that 850mhz P3, the fastest one that uses a 100mhz fsb. That's as fast as you can get with this guy. It's not a huge improvement, either. You might want to consider a newer mobo and proc combo.

If you're looking for a new motherboard, I would not buy off of ebay. They're buggy enough as it is. I'd go through newegg. See if you can round up a cheap socket A motherboard for $25. Then ebay yourself a 50 dollar low-end socket A processor. Some kind of Palomino or Thorobred core would do you well.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom