when did opterons overclock the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naw 3ghz would be like a 1 in a million opteron. If you get 2.8 you have one of the really good ones. You should defianately be able to get it up to 2.5-2.6. Most of the worst ones only reach 2.5.

Well let's just say I get an opty 165 for my system in 4 months and plan to OC it 2.5-6GHz. How would be the best way to acheive this in the least amount of time? Do I need to "burn it in" like an engine? lol Prime95 every night mixed with installing everything onto my new pc for the first week? (50GBs of games and 30+ programs. I hate the feeling of a new windows install and a wipe. Theres no place like home!)

A week would be better burning in period while the Artic silver 5 sets. Maybe just run prime 95 over one night. Don't be too drastic. (Why are you not considering AM2?

So prime95 for the first night after my massive installs and such? Then keep on it for a week to let the AS5 to set in. What do you mean by too drastic though? To harsh on it all at once?

I am not considering AM2 becuase I see little advantages of performance and I plan to treap the benefits of the 939 price drop. Being compataible is very nice but its not worth the money (or bugs the first year) Whats really sad though is they're probably designing a new socket already... I mean the new fx-60 has the date 2001 printed on it! What have they been doing for the past 5 years??!

So what kind of RAM do i need to get the HTT up to 290? what would you guys suggest? prefferably under $200. DDR400-533? I have no idea what all of this ram ratios mean or anything. I have never had to adjust them so i just dont know what they are.

Drastic meaning going over the top in letting it break in. There is a post in the overclocking forum, where Gaara said to get the system running on the minimum voltage you can run the system on. (This will mean dropping it a stage testing it, and going to a lower voltage if it still works fine.) If you go too low, just reset the BIOS.

Keeping to that budget, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890

But if your are going to play games, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210

Ya i'll be playing a ton of games. So I should lower the voltage and stress it for a week at the lowest voltage? then gradually up it to 2.5-6Ghz over the next week adjusting the voltage to keep it stable? what about this mem ratio stuff...if my htt is only going up to 290..wouldn't ddr400 be fine?

hmmm I'll check out the best DDR500 prices i can find. But with DDR500 I could set my HTT at 290 and call it good? No BS memory OC'n or dividers or anything? I still don't know crap about that stuff

well you might be able to get it to 290 but you will probaly have to loosen some timings. That link I gave you is the best OCing RAM under $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom