System 32 File Corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

VALSMAN

Beta member
Hi all,
Hope someone can help lol.
I have an error message each time I boot saying sys. 32 error corrupt etc. it wont let me configure to an earlier good version so I am basicly stuck. It does say to install a windows xp disc to repair only thing is I had it done at a pc shop and don't have a disc. Will any disc work? Is there any other way to boot the system say with a floppy and if so what file or link where do I go to find it? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Valsman

any xp disk will do if you have one. what is the whole message? sounds like a corrupted registry hive

It says file is missing or corrupt, I was playing a game turned off pc hard shutdown restarted fast wanting to surf when I did it told me it couldn't find hard drive, one of them seemed to not be working. Now it seems to work but can't find the file. I have dual hard drives but it was set to raid 0 and striped. I know enough about repairing a pc to break it lol. I would use one hd but still have same problem, no disc. If I understand correctly my info is shared with these two drives so I would only have half my info?
Thanks for answering by the way

The error is system 32 error file missing or corrupt, at first it seemed the slave drive didn't work now it seems to be working. I have a copy of xp tried it last night to repair and even tried to reinstall but said that it can't find a hard drive on my pc, so I do not have a clue as to what is going on. My mother board is the asus a78nx gig of memory two hd1200jd hard drives with an rx800xt card. I wouldnt care if I had to use just one hard drive but I don't know how to reconfigure for that if one is bad.
Thanks again for the help.

Cannot Start Windows XP if the System or Software Hive Is Missing or Damaged (Q303012)

SYMPTOMS:

When you try to start or restart your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

CAUSE
This issue can occur if the System or Software hive for the Windows XP installation is missing or damaged.

RESOLUTION:

To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods.

Use the Recovery Console Tool:

To restore a damaged registry hive, use the Recovery Console to restore the backup copy of the hive from the Repair folder. The Repair folder contains a copy of the system's registry hives that were created after the first successful startup of Windows XP.

WARNING : Although data should not be affected by the following procedure, you may need to restore changes you previously made to programs or system settings since the first time you successfully started Windows XP.

To replace the damaged registry hive and restore the backup copy of the hive from the Repair folder: Start your computer to the Recovery Console.

Determine if the file that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article is present, and if it is, rename it:

In Recovery Console, change to the c:\Windows folder.

Type cd system32\config , and then press ENTER.

Type dir system , and then press ENTER.

If you cannot run the preceding command successfully (because the file is missing), skip to step 3. If you can run the preceding command successfully, type ren system system.bak , and then press ENTER.

NOTE : If the message that you received referred to the software file, replace "system" with "software" in the preceding command. For example, you would type ren software software.bak (instead of ren system system.bak ), and then press ENTER.

Type copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER.

NOTE : If the message that you received referred to the software file, replace "system" with "software" in the preceding command. For example, you would type copy c:\windows\repair\software (instead of copy c:\windows\repair\system ), and then press ENTER.

You should receive a "One file copied" informational message. For additional information about how to use Recovery Console during startup, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q307654 HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP

IMPORTANT : If you encounter problems when you run the preceding commands, you may need to use the Change Directory command ( cd ) one folder at a time before you run the preceding commands. For example, type cd system32 , press ENTER, type cd config , and then press ENTER.

Type exit , and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console and restart the computer.

You Cannot Start from the Windows XP CD-ROM or Use Recovery Console
If you cannot start from the Windows XP CD-ROM or use Recovery Console and you are using the FAT file system (not the NTFS file system):
Use a startup disk from one of the following operating systems to start your computer to a command prompt:

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

Microsoft Windows 98

Microsoft Windows 95

At the command prompt, type c:\windows .

Follow the steps in the "Use the Recovery Console Tool" section of this article, beginning with step 2b (type cd sytem32\config , and then press ENTER).

IMPORTANT : After you complete the steps in the "Use the Recovery Console Tool" section of this article, remove the startup disk, and then restart the computer.

Use System Restore to Revert to the Most-Recent Restore Point
You may want to use System Restore to revert to the most-recent restore point if you have replaced the specific registry hive, but the issue has not been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom