building, pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

harley88

Baseband Member
mourning fellows

i am a what you call a pc dummy and trying to get the stuff ready to build my own pc.
i have picked out a few things so far, would one of you fine fellers take a look (below) and let me know if i am on right track?

motherboard= asus P4c800-E deluxe
processer-= intel pent 4 , 3.4ghz 512k cache, 800mhz, fsb with hyper- threading
memory= (1 gb total) 2x512mb ddr 400mhz, pc3200
video card= radeon 9800xt, 256mb,agp 8x

this old man is into air simulation games, and want this thing to work right.

help me out if you can
thanks
harley

Shrapnill

thanks for reply, i got all kinds of questions. right now i need some help on the case. what size case will i need, or do i have to get case last?

thanks again
harley

Well, the size will be ATX since your configuration is (normal) ATX style. Most cases these days are this size.

Another thing when considering cases is the Power Supply. Some come with one, some dont.

All PC parts can (and should in my opinion) be purchased here at newegg.

What did you have in mind for hard drives and optical drives (CD/DVD-ROM or burners)? Yaknow, if you gave me a price range that youre in I would be happy to recommend a configuration with everything youll need.

Sharpnill

thanks for reply.

i was thinking about 120gb , 7200rpm , 8mb cache harddrive.

16x dvd-rom

52x cd-rom

52x32x52 cd-rw

and maybe creative soundblaster audigy 2 Z5 gamer .

listen i do not know anything about this, and any help would be appreciated.
thanks
harley

trying for about 2200.00

for an old man you sure are building a super fast computer. not to mention you have a lot of money to burn. i would recommend you get a SATA or ATA133 hard disk otherwise your fast system will be severely bottlenecked and defeat the purpose of a fast processor.

also consider getting a high quality power supply. don't just use any generic power supply bundled with a case. get a antec true power 550 watt or enermax 550 watt. if i was building a top of the line computer like your i would not trust anything less.

i agree with Shrapnill, you should shop for these components at www.newegg.com they have the best prices and service in the united states.

Processor wise I would recommend a Prescott chip probably the 2.8 as it has 1mb cache compared to the standard 512kb on the P4 youve chosen. The other thing you need to decide on is the memory, i know you want PC 3200 but you need a good make such as cosair xms or kingston hyper X or my personal favourite OCZ. You need to check the timings of the memory (a CL of 2 is recommended).

domwells

domwells

thanks much for your reply. i am checking it out now.

this is going to be harder than i thought.
harley

sharpnill

what about Aspire SuperAlien,500 watt, full tower, Model #ATXA6SW (new egg.com)

do i need a dvd-rom,cd-rom , cd-rw, or all three? i would like to have a cd-rw is that a cd-rom to or are they two diff things?

harley

ek/Esine

i found (newegg) a atx Aspire Xsuper Alien, 500 watt, full tower
this is not what you were talking about on your post is it?

as far as the hard drive, well this dummy has not been able to even find the hard drives on new egg, but will keep on trying.

i dont know if i can pick out each item or not , will take me long time.

i have run accross some sites that will build a pc for you. do you think that would be better than buying all the parts and having local pc shop build it?

thanks
Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom