Front Audio/USB connection problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MvD

Baseband Member
Although this seems to have be asked many times before, I never really got a satisfactory answer to my questions, so here goes.

Mobo: GA-K8N-Sli
Case: Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000

My case has a set of front USA/Audio/Mic ports. The problem is, I am not exactly sure how to connect them.

On my mobo, the extra USB ports have nine pins, listed below:

1. Power
2. Power
3. USB DX
4. USB Dy-
5. USB DX+
6. USB Dy+
7. GND
8. GND
9. No Pin
10. NC

Now my frontal USB2 connection, has only 5 pins (listed below) and they are all connected together in one connector.

1. VCC2
2. DATA-2
3. DATA+2
4. GND 2
5. Shield 2

Now as I understand, the extra 5 USB connector pins are for USB 1 connectivity, my question is how do I connect the USB connector in order to have USB2 connectivity? Should I connect it to pins 2,4,6,8,10 or pins 1,3,5,79?

The situation with the frontal audio connector is even more complex, since the case does not have a unified connector and all the connections are separate. The mobo connector structure is listed below:

1. MIC
2. GND
3. MIC_BIAS
4. Power
5. Front Audio (R)
6. Rear Audio (R)/Return R
7. NC
8. No Pin
9. Front Audio (L)
10. Rear Audio (L)/Return L

So how does the mobo structure correspond to the case pin structure listed below?

1. Ear R (LINE_OUT R)
2. Return R (LINE_IN R)
3. EAR L (LINE_OUT L)
4. Return L (LINE_IN L)
5. MIC IN
6. MIC POWER
7. Ground.

There is also the issues of the jumpers on the mobo pins 5-6, 9-10. Does that mean that I an only use either the frontal Audio/Mic ports or only the ones at the rear on the IO panel? If yes, is there anyway to overcome this, becuase it would be nice to have this extra flexibility....

Thank you for your time!

refer to your motherboard manual for the pictures... but When you are hooking up USB 2.0, it only takes 4 pins. There are 2 rows. One contains 4 pins, and the other contains a 5th oddball pin. That's going to be the one we ignore. starting opposite the odd pin out, line up your pins in the order: Red, White, Green, Black.

Sometimes the whites are yellow, etc...

Ryan

Ok, thanks. At least USB is sorted....

The manual sucks, and its not very useful as the terminology varies between the mobo and case manual. So anyone have any clue about the frontal audio? Especially about the jumpers, because there is no point for me to hook up frontal audio, if rear wont work.

Yeah, audio doesn't exactly have a standard layout like USB does. They're all similar, but both boards I've had were different than boards I've made for other people and so on

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom