Too much ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0t

In Runtime
I'm using a second PC at the moment. It's a Compaq Deskpro EN Pentium III 866mhz proccesor. Also has a Geforce MX 4000. Now, before any of you freak out saying it's a bad computer, keep in mind it's not a gaming PC. This PC will only be used for internet, music, POSSIBLY video, and chat/IM. No games. No graphic intensive stuff, nothing. I recently installed 512mb of ram onto this machine, and I'm wondering if it's too much for the PC to handle. I've heard cases of where some people install too much ram onto a pc with not alot of proccesor power, and in some cases makes the PC slower. Do you guys think I should keep the 512 on here? Or downgrade to 256? I want the best speeds possible. Thank you.

Allright, so I installed the 512 last night. Now the computer seems to boot up super slow. Takes 5-10 min before it's fully functioning and I can open up programs. I'll click on a program as soon as the computer boots up, and I'll see it pop up about 5-10 min later. Keep in mind the computer has a 10 gig HD. I recently installed the neccesary programs such as AD-AWARE, SPY-SWEEPER, AND AVG ANTIVIRUS. Aswell as my sister's media(this computer is really hers, I just want to be a nice brother and make it run as fast as possible) which leaves me with about 4 gigs of space. We're going to upgrade later, that's for sure. But not now. Anyway, I don't know if this sudden slow boot-up/performance is because of the new ram, or because of the new programs. I somehow don't see it being the program since before I installed the new programs, I was already at 4.5 gigs. After I installed the programs I'm now at 4.2 gigs. Not much of a difference. Anyway, I really need some help guys, thanks!

try using 256 MB of memory then.

And dont forget, its an old PC, so get rid of the programs...the pc cant handle them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom