SATA Drive Problem.. Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzi9mm

Fully Optimized
This is the first time I am using SATA, and my drive came unjumpered by default. I think WD said that if it is unjumpered that I should have spread spectrum disabled in the BIOS. Well..... I installed the OS with spread spectrum turned on, currently it is off.. I am now getting complete lockups and poor performance sporadically. when this happens, the HD light is completely on.

Now the simple question is............ Would having spread spectrum on during the install affect the computer even after spread spectrum is turned off?

I really dont want to hear anyone elses theory on why it could be doing this, I have checked out EVERY other piece of equipment on the computer, and the only thing I have not been able to resolve is the *possible* HD problem.

Do you have a NF4 motherboard, and did you instal IDE drivers? As that causes lockups.

You could always do a format again with it off and reinstall.

Have you overclocked and left the PCI lock on? (Stupid qusestion) As that affects sata as well.

I got an Asus K8U-X

And it is running a Sempron 2800+ Palermo, and it is not being overclocked.

I would reformat and install XP again, but I have used my CD-KEY so many times, I have to wait 30 days between activation..... Or I have to call up a computer automated systems, which re-routes me to a call center in india......... :confused:

And people in india are hard to understand sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom