Invalid Boot File?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What entry? I am kind of lost... I don't use the REGEDIT very much. I only saw a (default) file at the MSCONFIG directory at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig

This might work for you

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
If you get files not found during the copying stage.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

I haven't tried the above step yet... Will it erase all of my information on my hard drive if I try this?

Hi,

Try the following steps to get the boot.ini tab back.

1) Enter Recovery Console

2) At the command prompt, type "bootcfg /list" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER. The entries in current Boot.ini file are displayed on the screen.

3) At the command prompt, type "bootcfg/rebuild" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP

a) We get the message that is similar to the following:

Total Identified Windows Installs: [1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

b) When you receive the message in step a, press "Y"

c) You receive a message that is similar to the following:
Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system.

d) When you receive the message in step c, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" (without the quotation marks)

e) Message: Enter OS Load options

The instructions that are displayed on your screen may be different depending on
the configuration of your computer.

f) "/fastdetect" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

Type "exit" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console. Computer restarts and the updated boot list is displayed when you receive
the "Please select the operating system to start" message .

Reboot your system and check if you have boot.ini tab in Msconfig.

Regards,
Rajni Pandey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom