new build powers up and then turns off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckers99

Solid State Member
I am in the process of building a new computer, and to eliminate any hardware conflicts, I only hooked up the motherboard, cpu, video card, and memory. the system powers up, i get the BIOS and everything, but after about 10 seconds it just turns off. I've double checked all connections, and I put it together out of the case to make sure the motherboard wasn't grounding anywhere. Still nothing.

I figured out that the 551 cpu is not on the support list for the motherboard I have. Does anybody know whether I have to get a new motherboard for sure? Or could it be something else?

Intel D925XCVLK Socket 775 ATX Motherboard
Intel P4 551 3.4Ghz 800fsb Socket 775 64T
XFX GeForce 6600 256MB PCIe
2x 512 DDR2 400mhz / PC2-3200U

Sigh :/ was it a cheap case?

You will need to buy a decent PSU. At the very minimum get a fortron PSU, Antec would be even better. There is a guide that lists all the good PSU's.

What is the exact model of the PSU ?
@ what is the amp. rating on the 12volt rail/s. ?
* you probably need more amps for your Cpu and video card! That is what he is asking!

well, as far as I can figure out it's made by Wintech Electronics. and the amp rating is +12V/15A and -12/0.6A

Is that what you wanted to know? and do you think that getting a better power supply could solve my problem? it sure seems easier than getting a new mother board..!

The CPU will want to have around 20amps as a minimum. PSU's that come with a case is never any good (unless it is a Antec case.)

That may be your problem, but with what little you have hooked up to it, it should still be able to power all that. You didn't mention it so I'm going to ask just to make sure....do you have the heatsink/fan installed properly? If its not installed, or not making proper contact with the cpu, it will shut its self down due to overheating.

yeah, I checked the heatsink several times... it really shouldn't be overheating. but it might still be, because whenever I turn it on for the first time, it stays on fairly long... but the more often I try to turn it on in a row, the shorter it stays on until it turns off on it's own.

Well, when you turn it on for the first time and it stays on for a while, you should go into the BIOS and monitor the temp for a few min, it should level off at 45-50* C . If overheating is not a problem, then since you WILL need a new psu sooner or later, you might as well buy it now and use it to test the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom