Virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

In Runtime
I'm running WinME, and I'd like to know if I can improve my comp's performance by manually specifying the virtual memory settings (rather than automatic). It says that my resources are only 52% free, yet I'm running on 256 MB ram. In the specify box, it already has the number "6419". What do you think? Has anyone else tried altering it?

the recommended size is 1.5 x the amount of physical memory in your comp. some ppl like to raise the min value to the max value to avoid the low on virtual memory warnings.

system resources and virtual memory are two different things.

OK, pardon my ignorance, but the 256 MB ram is my physical memory, right? So I could set my min. value to about 380? Would this improve the performance, or would it simply get rid of the warnings?

it will increase your page file (aka virtual memory) to 380mb. When you get a warning, your machine will increase your page file unless its already as big as the max value. By raising the min value to the max value, you avoid these warnings. But if you still get warnings, i suggest adding more ram to your machine.

also, if you have a second HD on your pc, it is suggested that your move your page file off your windows HD to improve IO performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom