new video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm, i can't seem to find a 7800gs in pci-e form on newegg.com.
probably becuase i am blind or something ;)

it should be there .. i know that they just came out with the 7800gs for agp that why your gonna see it everywhere

No, the 7800GS is only available in AGP flavour. Why would you want to buy the 7800GS in PCI-e (if there ever was an option, there isn't), when you can save about $10 or so and get 4 more pipelines with the 7800GT and the same or slightly higher clocks?

is the 7800gtx worth it or does the 7800gt perform at the same level, cuz its like 200 bucks more and i just dont see the difference.

P.P. Mguire said:
The 6800GS is the better way to go because the PCI-E version can OC like mad. It has SM3 and the ATI cards dont (besides the X1800and above). eVGA 6800GS man.
It dosn't matter how much you overclock the GS. An unlocked X800GTO2 will always beat it down in terms of brute force.

Think of it logicly. The GS is a 425MHz card with 12 pipes. An unlocked X800GTO2 is a 540MHz card with 16 pipes. Even with overclocking, there is no competition. And don't go on about bad drivers, I built a cheap PC with an X1300Pro, and I have not had a single problem with the drivers. The X800GTO2 does not support SM3, but that really does not matter. First of all, the GeForce 6 series actually fails the WHQL SM3 tests, and when the games that rely heavily on SM3 (like UT2007) come out the Geforce 6 series will not play them at playable framerates anyway. Not only that, but they will have fallback to SM2, and there are only very minor differences between SM3 and SM2.

EDIT:
No the GTX is not worth it over the GT.

does unlocking the extra pipes create a large increase in heat?
like high enough that stck cooling will not work.

i guess i should let you know that i have a *cough* dell *cough* with a 375 watt psu. i dont plan on doing anything more than getting a new video card right now becuase the computer itself is still good. just the video card is weak. so i need something that is good bang for buck that does not need to be highly overclocked to be good.

i haven't OCed my eVGA 6800gs yet and it still performs great and is a awsome card for the money but i don't know about your power supply but if it can handle it the 6800gs is a very nice card

well the first card link i had required 350
the other one only 300 watts.

wonder why the difference is so big?

Ok like 003 said and me get the GTO2. Unlocking it doesn't make it any hotter than normal. Think of it like this. You have 12 roads but 4 of them have been closed for road works. You then finish the road works so you now have 16 roads. Theres no increase in anything bad. But you do have to really increase the clock speed. Even if you don't increase the clock speed its still faster than the 6800GS with its 12 pipelines. Like 003 said as well SM 2.0b has very very little difference between SM 3. If you do enable the features it slows the graphics down loads. I've tried it and as have been said before the Nvida cards don't have true SM 3.0 support anyway :p . So out of my experience the GTO2 is a far better card. You should need a new PSU. 375 should be enough but it really depends on how much the other components use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom