PC crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lidigentri

Beta member
This is my first post here and I really hope someone can help figure out how to fix the problem I am experiencing with my PC.

I connected my LaCrosse weather station to my PC using a serial port to USB adaptor cable (weather station supplied serial/COM port cable). Installed the software (heavyweather.com) and the driver for the USB cable (BAFO BF-810). This should allow the weather station to sync with my PC.

Ok, so this works for about a minute, at best. It is populating the history.dat file while the application (heavyweather) is opened. Within 60 seconds, sometimes sooner, the PC spontaniously crashes and reboots. I have tried changing the COM port - no luck. I have reviewed the Event Logger but I am no expert to determine what the cause is. I contacted BAFO who supplied the cable to see if they had a newer driver to fix this problem but they do not. They suggested unchecking the power savings on the USB Route hub - did not fix the problem. I turned my firewall off - did not fix the problem.

I am at a loss - please help as I really want to use the weather station to its full potential.

System specs:

MODEL Sony PCV-RZ44G
OPERATING SYSTEM Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition
PROCESSOR Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.80C GHz† with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology
CACHE MEMORY 512KB Integrated On-Die Level 2
FRONT SIDE BUS SPEED 800MHz
STANDARD RAM 512MB PC2700 333MHz DDR (expandable to 2.0GB)
HARD DRIVE3 160GB††3 7200rpm Ultra ATA/100 Hard D
VIDEO & GRAPHICS nVIDIA® GeForce™ FX5200 w/TV-Out128MB Video Memory (128-bit DDR) TV-Out / VGA-Out / DVI-Out (DVI Output:1280x1024x60Hz max.)
8X AGP 3D Graphics Hardware Acceleration
Giga PocketTM Engine MPEG2 Realtime
Encoder/Decoder board with TV Tuner
AUDIO Creative® Soundblaster® Audigy®

Thanks in advance!

Liliane

I do not beleive that you can sync without remote control software. Of course I could be wrong.

Thanks for information - I tried the above scan-ware and it did remove a lot of unnecessary stuff

However, the problem still exists - PC continues to blue screen/crash or the application just hangs.

Here are the error messages from the event viewer:

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 0000ffdf, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 806ffa8e.

i8042prt The device sent an incorrect response(s) following a keyboard reset.

Hanging application heavy weather.exe, version 1.0.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Any ideas???

Liliane

The culprit is faulty ram.
Suggestion
1. Check the temperature of the CPU and make sure that it is not overheat (ie temperature < 60C)
Make sure that the CPU fan works properly
2. Reseat the memory stick to another memory slot. Reseat video card as well.
3. Downclock the ram. Check to default setting if you video card is overclocked.
4. Clean the dust inside the computer case
5. Make sure that the ram is compatible to the motherboard
6. Check the bios setting about memory timing and make sure that it is on
For example : DIMM1 and DIMM2 do not have the same timing.
DIMM1: Corsair CMX512-3200C2 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.0-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz)
DIMM2: Corsair CMX512-3200C2 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM3: Corsair CMX512-3200C2 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)
7. Make sure that your PSU have adequate power to drive all the hardware including USB devices
8. Run chkdsk /r at command prompt
9. Run 3DMark 2005 to test your video card
10. Upgrade BIOS and make sure that the motherboard has no leaking capacitors

If it still crashes, diagnostic which memory stick is faulty
Take out one memory stick. If windows does not crash, the removed memory stick is faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom