Out of the box high performance PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you think the delay that we are experiencing now is independent of the graphics card? We have assumed that it was caused by the amount of time it took to load the images onto the card, which we then assumed was a feature of the card - are we completely off base?

A little off topic, but could someone, maybe, since you all seem to know, explain why MORE memory will make the computer run slower?

Unfortunately, this one has to run windows - is this unique to windows or is it true for all systems?

i believe that widow xp coundnt handle the memory .. but not positive ....... welcome to the forums ;) i think this is the only girl on the forum .......... ooo and sounds like a cool job

No, there are about 5. Southern Lady was the most frequent girl here, but she hasn't been on for a while now.

And:

Yes, i am a girl.

You say that like its a bad thing. :p

kdevaney said:
So, you think the delay that we are experiencing now is independent of the graphics card? We have assumed that it was caused by the amount of time it took to load the images onto the card, which we then assumed was a feature of the card - are we completely off base?

kdevaney said:
A little off topic, but could someone, maybe, since you all seem to know, explain why MORE memory will make the computer run slower?

Unfortunately, this one has to run windows - is this unique to windows or is it true for all systems?

It probably has a LOT less to do with the card than anything to be honest. When you start looking into double-digit megapixel images (which I'm sure you are dealing with) being presented at high speeds... things get stressed. Even on a great PC those images will take a bit to load up, and I'm talking about ONE. The biggest time consumer is the actual loading of them, this means taking them OFF of the Hard Drive, and bringing them into the RAM(memory). However, by no means am I saying skimp out on the card; I'm just saying you should prioritize it behind some of the other stuff.

This is where more memory helps, you can keep more data there, and more programs up at once. So here you have your 200 frames of high quality images running under a stressful application. It's needless to say you were right about needing a dual core :).

Get 2 separate 1gig sticks of memory. Period. 1 may not cut it, and once you get into more space Windows has issues allotting and addressing to it, how ironic is it that MORE memory actually could slow you down? Well my friend, ask Mr. Gates.

Also, whoever mentioned the Rapter above was on the right track. What she needs most is a fast, large harddrive, and a strong amount of quick RAM.

However, don't go with the WD Raptors. The sizes are junk and they are way to expensive. Get something like Western Digitals 300gig 16mb cache drives for faster preformance with the large pics. They are probably just as much as a 74gig raptor too.

PM me if u need anything else.

If you want a lot of memory go with Apple, quad core CPU's, up to 16gigs of DDR2 memory.

You can use VPC for emulation, with that much processing power, the lag shouldn't be significant, unless you need that video power in windows. I don't see why you need to stick with Windows so badly, Apple is pretty strong in art and science.

Brtnboarder495 said:
If you want a lot of memory go with Apple, quad core CPU's, up to 16gigs of DDR2 memory.

You can use VPC for emulation, with that much processing power, the lag shouldn't be significant, unless you need that video power in windows. I don't see why you need to stick with Windows so badly, Apple is pretty strong in art and science.

He said he needed Microsoft and knew it. It is probably because the equiptment they use with it or at least the data they equiptments uses needs to be in a certain format or used on a certain OS.

Also, apples suck to upgrade. Not to mention there are way less people out there to help on an apple if there is a problem.

Yea you can basically only upgrade the HD's, memory and optical drives. But he said he didn't want to upgrade or be responsible for fixing the machine, and Apple's are easily the best built machines for quality on the planet.

But if you need a PC, I guess I'd say HP. Dell's quality sucks, and Alienware is too "kiddy" for the younger group or gamers. HP doesn't have a wide selection of powerful video cards though. Hmm ...

Allrighty then, heres what I'm thinking. The computer you have now is just absolute garbage or you are doing something wrong on the software end.

You wont need 2 sli'd video cards for a slide show any video card should be fine for that.

I'm thinking the comp your on it just garbage, just build a decent new PC and you should be fine, dont spend tons on a graphics card it's just a waste. If you dont want to build it yourself (which I assume you dont) just get a retail one or better yet go to monarch computers and build one. People saying you need tons of resources are wrong, you could probably use a low end computer and get the desired results. Even still you might as well get a decent PC.

As for the hard drive thing isnt there a way to precache it so that when it runs it doesnt have to load from the hard drive? What program are you using, or is it some custom one? If you cant precache then the program is bad. Even if that is the case though a new hard drive will be able to handle it. You should be able to precache the images however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom