Problems with re-formatting of my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesthetic

Baseband Member
Hi all, I was hoping for some help.

Basically I purchased an awesome computer yesterday, for a very good price. It was an open box item. But for some reason when I started the computer, everytime i pressed shift and the number 2, a quotation mark came up instead of the at symbol. So I figured I might as well just reformat the computer just to get a fresh start.

Now I purchased the computer with no recovery disc. But it looks as if all the files needed for recovery are saved on my hard drive. But I am trying to burn those files onto a CD, and I keep getting error messages saying that no recovery files were found. Which is weird because I noticed that my recovery part of the hard drive is taking up 2.5 gigs. Whenever I try to start the recovery, it always asks me for the disc, which I don't have.

I want to know if there is anyway around this. Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

not even one you can borrow?

-----------------------------------------

if I read that right... you are trying to reinstall windows, and the recovery partition isn't working...

honestly, I have never used recovery partitions... I just reinstall windows off of a cd...

the only thing i could suggest is getting/borrowing/downloading, a windows install cd somewhere if you can

good luck

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition, I don't know where I would go about getting that disc from.

This seems like such an easy process. I have re-formatted other computers, but I've always had the recovery discs. But now I don't.

So there is no way around this?

Go to the manufactures Web site, and purchase them. Shouldn't cost more than $20, maybe a little more. Then possibly deal with the problem until they arrive. You can use a Windows disc to reinstall, but you loose all the "bundled programs"- that you'll probably never use. Try the fist option.

well , im sorry u formatted you computer, u didnt need to do all of that, all u needed to do was change the english settings of the system you were using, by my guess it was set to UK english, this is what caused your computer to type the " when u depressed shift+2 instead of at, so all you really needed to do was change the english setting of you computer to united states,
marlon,16 yo,jamaica

oh well formatting a new computer isnt really a bad thin especially for getting rid of those programs that come with the computer and just starting fresh i format about once every 3 months. if you still dont have the cd you can call the manufacturer and get a cd or if that doesnt work i think you may be able to call microsoft give them the product key and they will send you a cd but im not 100% sure on that tho microsoft is quite picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom