Old Gateway and HP PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubbs

Solid State Member
I have 2 family friends who have pc's that wanted to upgrade their memory.

The Gateway Essential 933C (I think)
Is a p3 1,000 mhz with 64 mb of ram running WIN XP!!! So I would try to go and max out the ram, I got 2 x 256 PC133 sticks. According to Kingston's website, it can handle it.

I put in the two sticks and the display looks really messed up.. Like snow on a tv. I restart it, it comes up, says it can't find the keyboard, mouse, hd, cdrom or anything.. Then just sits there.. I restart it again. This time it makes it to load windows. Half way through it just restarts. So I put the old ram back in, it starts up fine.. Still cant find the keyboard and mouse (usb) The comp has no ps2 ports. But loads windows fine. I cant turn it off normally because I have no k&m. So I hold the power button and it goes to HIBERNATE!! I said O no! and restarted it with the keyboard and mouse in the front usb ports. This time the keyboard and mouse lit up. But now it wont start up.. it gives me the option to delete the hibernation data and continue a normal boot, but the keyboard and mouse don't respond. They are lit up, but they dont do anything.

The ram is PQI PC 133 256MB ram.. I got 2 sticks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I dont know, Its not my machine, it was probably horrendous. But anyway.. Anyone got any ideas?

Sometimes old computers are very picky about what ram they have. Kingston and OCZ are brands you should try to stick to. did you try using one stick instead of 2 just to see if it boots?

Ryan

Yes I tried 1 stick with no luck. I also have an old HP Pavillion That wont get passed the HP loadup screen.. I can't even get into the bios on that one.

Now I really hate old comps..

How bout Crucial? You think their ram would do ok?

Dont ever buy PQI, Waste of time and money.

Crucial worked in both computers.. They are now running decent for what they are.. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom