Out of the box high performance PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAVOC2k5 said:
And another thing, "XFX - Video Cards) are at the total bottom of the list. (Not very liked - many people have had bad experiences with them.)
Why does everyone here say this? XFX is one of the best video card makers and most people get fast reliable cards from them. But it is true evga is the best and XFX might look bad compared to evga but so does every other card.

kdevaney said:
I'm in neuroscience research (fMRI) and we're looking for a new PC to rapidly present high quality images.
When you say "rapidly present high quality images," are you talking about slideshows and/or movies? If you are, then there's no need for a high-end graphics card. Any videocard can show images - it's for rendering and antialiasing and all that stuff in real-time (gaming) that a powerful graphics card is needed. If all you're doing is prerendered stuff, go heavy on the RAM and CPU and get a lower-end graphics card--perhaps an eVGA GeForce 6600GT. That'll save a good deal of money.

Well, if that's the case, then I'd suggest something more along the lines of an eVGA MX4000, but I think what they're talking about is framerates...

Ryan

make sure that you add thermal grease to your list from monarch if you get it from there. Arctic Silver 5 is the best stuff.

When you say rapidly presenting images are you talking about photoshop and rendering programs? Im not really sure since you said you are a neuro science researcher, if you need a program that does professional applications you may need a different card. If you're talking about video games though go with a 7800gtx, or 2 if money really isnt an issue and you can SLI them (SLI is a waste IMHO). Not sure about how tech savvy you are, if you dont want to deal with any hardware stuff then go with the 4800 x2, if not then go opteron 170 and watercooling, OC it as far as you can.

PoisonPorkchop said:
Her? A girl? On the internet? WE HAVE A CODE PINK, EVERYONE RPORT TO YOUR STATIONS!!!!!!!

You're kidding, but at the same time... you're not. There's never girls on here...

Ryan

Hi all
Yes, i am a girl. I usually try to hide that on forums because then people then to get a little....off-topic.

Anyway - we are presenting bitmaps and jpegs in rapid succession so that they appear to be moving. We do that by loading all of the images first, then presenting them.

The computer we have now (dont ask me about it, all I know is that it's an ancient windows box) takes about 10 minutes to load the images. During those ten minutes the person in the scanner sees a blank screen (it's white or blue or yellow depending on the graphics card of the presentation computer as far as I know) which is a serious problem for them and for us, as it's a waste of time and therefore money.

So, the new computer is to solve this problem. We THINK (and we are brain people not computer people) that the problem is caused by:

1. inadequate memory
2. inadequate cache on the graphics card
3. processor speed & efficiency

So that's why we decided to go with a system with two fast processors, lots of memory and the best graphics card that there is.

I recently heard a TWiT where they talked about SRI graphics cards, which are kind of dual cards (do I have this right)? So I might want to try something like that.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded, but I have lots of questions and minimal knoweledge.

Generally, what do you guys recommend for a graphics card?

Also, do you think I should go with an Intel or AMD processor (I looked here http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/roundupcpu/pentium4-28-athlonxp-26-mx.html and they seem to be about the same)? I imagine that I will find proponents for both, but for what I need to do, do you guys think one is particularly better?

Thank you all.

I would recomend a Western Digital raptor hdd then, and the 2gb of memory. Anymore than that and it will bog down the memory controller.

Go with any graphics card, as it will not benefit the system, unless you want to do some gaming on it, or 3d modelling/texturing.

The AMD X2 range are excellent processors which take care of the application side of things extremly well. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2668&p=6

And also, I had a XFX card for 10months, and no longer have it as it overheated, and caused artifacts on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom