Monitor Smells Weird... wtf is it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
ok, just randomly few days ago, I started to smell this burnt chemical smell. I found it to be coming from the back of the monitor. I mean, it smells A LOT, it stank up the whole house. What's wrong with it?? When that happened I unplugged it and never used it again, I'm afraid it's gonna smell again.

So here I am writing from my second computer to see if this ever happened to anyone else. It smells like burnt motor or something. It's one of those big blocky monitors, I think a CRT? well i bought it in like year 2000 so it's kinda old. It was working fine when it started to smell too.

I disabled the onboard monitor and installed a nVidia card, a cheap one.... maybe that could be the reason.... but I've had it installed for a long time so I don't think that's it. What the heck is wrong with my computer?? HELP

yea i agree with nitestick. I think you should get a new monitor and not throw your old one away.

Dont use it, leave it off.. it smells like burning plastic. Its ready to go BOOM. if u have it on and it goes boom. 1. fry a pc part 2. injury urself 3. monitor blow up. This happened to my OLD CRT. i left it on while i went to teh store came back and it exploded litterally. fried my entire PC.

omg... well shiet.. i didn't use it ever since... i just went out to buy another LCD monitor... it was 200 bucks... Dammmit i was gonna see if it worked but now i'm afraid it'll blow up in my face.

if its an LCD monitor, it could just be producing an unusual amount of ozone gas...sometimes electrical parts ionize the air around them and that creates ozone in the air...which smells kinda chemically. is that same smell you smell around copy machines and/or after alot of very close lightning?

Or a capacitor is burned up, getting ready to blow up and destroy the monitor? Happened to my old CRT, one of the capacitors beside the power button was shorting out and it finaly blew up and my monitor caught on fire in the middle of a warcraft 3 tft game....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom