Question about OEM Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I have a question about MS OEM Software.

Does the MS OEM lience tie you down to that one piece of hardware? IE. If I buy a new computer and I retire my old computer, do i need to purchace another copy of MS Windows and MS Office and all that?

Or can I use the the same lience when I upgrade to new hardware (ei Motherboard + CPU + etc. etc.) provided that you no longer use the older hardware.

no you can't. legally the license dies with that machine. but if you tried to activate on the other computer it would still work. someone just asked this question recently

oops

ekÆsine said:
no you can't. legally the license dies with that machine. but if you tried to activate on the other computer it would still work. someone just asked this question recently
What happened to my reply ?
If you got a cd than it's legal.If you got a preinstall then no.
So insist on a disk.Dell is Hell.
:confused:

ekÆsine said:
no you can't. legally the license dies with that machine.

Okay..... so what happens if the customer has a lightning strike on there Pentium IV Socket 423 Machine? Socket 423 Motherboard are no longer avalable down here (you're pushing tin just to try and get RA stock).
Every time I see a socket 423 machine, I always calculate in the back of my head was the current pricing for a new CPU + PROCESSOR and most of the time RAM (RD Ram.... gotta luv it) just incase I have to sell them "You motherboard is dead".
Now if the end user would happen to have their computer die, and there is no way to get parts (always the case with Socket 423, and 99% of the time with Socket 370), it MicroSHAFT expecting the user to fork out more money just to have another set of liences?

Mind you, lightning strikes are a common event around here.

Mental Note : make sure I calculate the OEM software just in case my computer get hit by lightning.

i think bluto was right on having the CD's. my mistake for being an idiot. if it was pre-installed with no OEM CD than the licsense can't legally tranfer. i would go ahead and try to activate it on thier new machine anyways though, yes it is unfair.

i would think the manufacturer probably spends less on OS licensing if he doesn't distribute a CD. maybe MS gives discounts for that. Silesia could you not special order them these parts or are they hard to find anywhere? it is a good way to sell them high end surge protectors though :)

Thanks

ekÆsine said:
i think bluto was right on having the CD's. my mistake for being an idiot. if it was pre-installed with no OEM CD than the licsense can't legally tranfer. i would go ahead and try to activate it on thier new machine anyways though, yes it is unfair.

i would think the manufacturer probably spends less on OS licensing if he doesn't distribute a CD. maybe MS gives discounts for that. Silesia could you not special order them these parts or are they hard to find anywhere? it is a good way to sell them high end surge protectors though :)

Too many folks are buying pakage deals that sound great for the money,but it's not long till they show up here.
Try to find a small local dealer to put a system together for you.
But remember some day you might see,
"put in you Windows CD.
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom