64 bit processes... NO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
its true, windows vista will pave the road for 64 bit computer, but it still will take a while for average programs to be made in 64 bit. my guess is by the time you upgrade, 64 bit will be a little more advanced and it will actually affect you.

Yeah but seeing as how most home users don't know what 64-bit even is, nevermind 32-bit, Vista won't be available to them for a while.

tommyboy123x said:
its true, windows vista will pave the road for 64 bit computer, but it still will take a while for average programs to be made in 64 bit. my guess is by the time you upgrade, 64 bit will be a little more advanced and it will actually affect you.
actually,porting 32 bit to 64 bit in windows isn't that hard. so when Vista 64 comes out, new software will follow suit. However, there will be 32 bit versions of the system. Nothing to worry about with either hardware.

even though no home user really knows about 64 bit, it doesnt matter. No average home user really knows about AMD either, does that mean their not as good as Intel? 64 bit WILL come, i just think the software will be much farther behind than microsoft is. Look at it this way, an average home user has an intel system, no 64 bit capabilities really, they will be mad at, lets just say, norton for changing to 64 bit because it will be much slower on their nice little dell. Until 64 bit goes to Intel and has been there for a good 5 years, we won't start to see any huge advances in average programs.

This whole 64 bit future proofing in my opinion is over rated... especailly for an average user. Today, most 64 bit programs are those that require a lot of resocres such as 3d mapping programs, some games, etc. The best way to affectivly get more memory is to double the memory bandwith to the program, so instead of sending 32 bits of data to the processor, it will send 64 at a time. for those users who buy pre-built systems with something like 256mb of memory, they are not the ones who use those types of programs, and therefore, will not be affected by 64 bit processing until it becomes the standard.

sorry if im talking in circles, but i hope what i am saying is making some sense... if not just let me know ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom