dual core Vs gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

talonfighter25

Baseband Member
OK, a while ago (about 5 months), i began to plan out a high performance gaming machine. I started out with some recommendations about dual core. Now im not quite so sure.

From what im hearing dual core is not the way to go when it comes to gaming. Is this true? To what extent? I figure that at a certain point a dual core might be even better. Now i realize that some of the lower end dual cores cant compete just because some of the single cores having those insane 3Ghz processors. But what about dual cores like the Athlon X2 4400 Toldeo and up? Then if its OC, it seems to me that it would beat out most high end single cores. Not only does it have high processing speeds but it also takes advantage of the dual core features. Am i fooling myself into this rationalization, or is there another component im not looking at?

well you'll never beat the FX-57 and up with a current dual core, but you can come **** close. the 4400+ is basically the same thing as the 4200+ except for the L2 cache... which doesn't show that much of a performance increase. in some areas, a dual core could end up beating the FX's, but in very few. Dual cores are about 1/3 the cost of the FX's, so unless you want performance at any cost, go with something like the 4200 or if you have the money, higher up

Well see thats what scares me, screwing it up. I'm no novice to computer knowledge, but as far as tweaking and building goes, ive never done it before. I mean ive put all the pieces together, but its been very user friendly up till now. Plug & play is all ive done. I have never OC before, so id be a little aprehensive about doing it.

Does it matter that the L1 cache is so much lower than other CPU, only 64?

IDK about the L1 but ive always heard its the L2 that really counts. You can look it up on google i bet. Ive heard that an OC of 2.4GHz is VERY safe with a 165. The multiplier only goes up to 9 so the HTT is pretty much all you'd be adjusting. (Memory fits somewhere into that but idk anything about that) So at stock it a 9x 200 = 1.8GHz. When the HTT is raised to 270 you get 9x270 = 2.4GHz. Simple...ask around. people are more than willing to help you out. And the 165 is a dual core, so running at those speeds and higher (max of 2.75GHz I've heard from the 165) must be BLISS.

Well if this is all true then i would say about $134.00, compared to the 4400 toledo.

This new information intrigues me.

Question: How much more could the 4400 toledo OC. WOuld it be substanially more?

i have x2 4800+ toledo. mine goes to 2.8ghz stable. well...took me about a month to make it stable tho..

talonfighter25 said:
do you have any idea why it took so long?
well..OC is more of how saticefied u are at ur machine...so it basically never ends..
or actually it depends on how perfectionist u are.. (+better products come out every 1/2 year or even 1/4. not limited to hardware. means how well u OC, ur machine will be outdated in very near future....:eek:) anyway its fun to OC and keep seachin for the best way possible. (till i get bored:))
o and i answer ur question. because i am noob OCer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom