Windows Xp Virtual Memory Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Customer has 6 desktop computers on site. They recently purchase an NEC Versa M320.
NEC Versa M320 Specs :-
Model :- NN300000359
P-IV 2.2 Ghz M, 256MB Ram, 30Gb HDD, 14.1"TFT Display, Combo Drive, Floppy, Windows xp Home, Carry Bag,
Symantec Antivirus 2003 OEM was added

Windows Xp is giving the following error message :-

“Windows – virtual memory minimum is too low. Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see help.”

Now add to this confusion, 1 of the PCs that were all ready on site was coming up with the very same message for the introduction of the this notebook.

Orginally we were thinking virus, but both desktop and notebook have the late definitions and have been scanned. And it is only happening on 2 machines, not all 7.

So I need some other suggestions on what could be causing it.

Suggestion please.

I also have a question about virtual memory. I was told that the paging file/swap file should be larger than the amount of ram you have. I was told 3 different things:

1. A friend told me the paging file should be RAM+12. i.e if RAM is 256, the paging file should be 256+12=268Mb

2. Another friend told me the paging file should be RAM+12%. i.e if RAM is 256, the paging file should be 256+(256*.12)=286.72 or 287Mb.

3. A different friend also told me it does not really matter, just let your OS manage your virtual memory.

So I follow the third friend and let XP manage my virtual memory. Does anyone else have any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks.

THe ideal size of Virtual memory ..is 1.5times ur physical memory(RAM)
which would mean if u have 512mb the VM would be 512x1.5=768Mb

This was an issue in older Os's like 98 .. In XP ..if u let XP manage it then it follows the same rule . (1.5xRAM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom