I want to make my computer run faster with games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

purple_ferret

Solid State Member
I occasionally get lag on some games, and I get SERIOUS lag on The Sims 2. I want to make my computer better, and run faster, so what should I do? I'm thinking more RAM and a new video card, but I guess you people are better suited to know than I am.

Oh, attached are my DxDiag "results". Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• dxdiag.txt
    45.2 KB · Views: 66
Definately get another stick of of 512 of RAM, and maybe jump up to a better vid card depending on your money, but definately get that 512 stick of RAM, you'll see some definate improvement.

Your video card is an AGP Radeon 9200 SE. So depending on your current budget, you have quite a bit of options.

Your memory is okay, but doubling it to a gig shouldn't be that hard or expensive, and you should notice some performance jumps.

The real performance jump would be when you upgrade your video card. Your options are 6600GT, 6800GS, 7800GS or X1600PRO. You will most likely need to upgrade your PSU (power supply unit) no matter which card you upgrade too, I'd reccomend one of at least 400w unless your aiming for the 7800GS, which in that case I'd aim for 450w or higher.

purple_ferret said:
Oh, and what does "memory speed" mean? Is it as literal as I think? I.E, fast memory.

Memory speed simply refers to the speed the memory runs at ...

PC3200 (400mhz, 200mhz in reality) is today's standard for DDR. PC4200 (533mhz) is today's standard for DDR2, but it's slowly shifting towards PC5300 (667mhz) and eventually PC6400 (800mhz) I'm guessing.

You most likely have PC3200 or PC2700 memory I'd bet, or even PC4200 if you went DDR2.

It really depends. You first need to identify these things:

- How many memory slots your motherboard has.
- How many slots are currently occupied (if your memory is setup as 2x256mb or 1x512mb)
- Your motherboard's memory speed standard.
- Whether your motherboard is running DDR or DDR2.
- What the wattage of your PSU is, and the brand name if possible.

Also, is it prebuilt or did you or someone else buy the machine? I'm guessing it's a Dell, right?

PC has a good processor(s). I don't understand why are you are getting lag in Sims 2...RAM is enough for that game, video card needs upgrading though.

6600gt is the best buy I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom