Got new RAM, now ive got problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somebody

Solid State Member
Ok, heres the scoop. My B-day is today so my girlfriend got me some more ram (witch is y i was asking questions first). Now i have the ram put it in slot 3 (cause i have 2x 512), boot up and as soon as i power up it starts beeping like crazy and my fan (witch is normaly cpu controled and very quite) winds up to max rpms, and nothing displays on screen. So i shut it off and put it in slot 4, boot up and its still not acting normal but is not spazing and i get on the screen:: R423SE P/N 113-A32102-103-8P A12 BR#7891 Rel 9.3.17 :: At this point im thinking it might be the chip and not the install so i remove all sticks and put the new on in slot 1 boot up and it freaks out again. The recipt says the stick is a : OEM 512MB DDR2 PC2-4200 8C 533Mhz 240 PIN DIMM : witch is what i need, however the sticker on the stick says its a PC2 4300. Could that be where my problem is or what. Also i told her to get 2 sticks and only one came (witch im working on that atm), could it not be working cause i am to use 3 sticks and not an even number? I am greatful of any advice.

Somebody

Install the new memory and reset your bios before you power it on again. See my sticky in the hardware troubleshooting forums. Post results please.

hmmm.... did oyu short something out ??? thats what im thinking WARNIG am not alway in the right mind END WARNING

OK i followed the sticky to the T and it still freaks out. Wouldnt there be a conflict between 4200 and 4300? And no i HIGHLY doubt i shorted some thing, ive built 2 before this one just been a while so im out of the loop now. Is it possable i might have gotten a bad stick? TIA

Before you give up on your ram, remove all sticks and put the new one in slot 1. No other ram at all. If your system starts up, you know this stick is OK. If you have 3 dimm slots, install the next stick in number 2. If you have 4, put it in the 3rd slot and boot up. This process will take time, but it is the only way to isolate the "bad" stick of ram.

Somebody said:
At this point im thinking it might be the chip and not the install so i remove all sticks and put the new on in slot 1 boot up and it freaks out again.

lol thanx Figero, however ive tryed that already this is not my first go round. I think ima call the supplyer and tell them that they sent me the wrong stick.

Have Dell XPS Gen 3, both original sticks are pc2 4200 and same brand. Just got off the phone with supplier and ima send it back for them to test it.

i had the same problem once only to find out that my stick wasnt in all the way. JaCked that thing in there and it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom