Best Hard Drive Brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iv had 1 maxtor die on me but Iv found them to be rather nice although since buying a WD I must admit I have more faith in it.

What about Hitachi hard drives? Iv got 1 and its been doing well for a few years but dont no how good a brand they are any ideas?

If I'm not mistaken, I think Hitachi works under WD... but I'm not totally certain. I know that Seagate very recently bought Maxtor, so we'll see them become more and more equal in quality.

Ryan

apokalipse said:
I found out that Maxtor had bought out Quantum. Quantum had always made really bad drives, and their failure rate was very high (I actually had a Quantum drive which died)
when Maxtor took over Quantum, Maxtor's drive quality went down.
I hope Seagate's quality won't go down after buying out Maxtor (yes, Seagate are buying out Maxtor)

I have an old Quantum Bigfoot, 2.5Gb...

still works like new...

and after droping(accident) my Quantun Fireball, which wasn't working right... started working all the sudden... still working...

both my current drives are Maxtor... I've never had any problems other than my Fireball...

and my next hard drive will most likely be a cheap maxtor from walmart...

wellanyways i kinda like the raptors and for system drive it looks like a good option i dont need 400 gb on my system drive i got backup drives for storage not speed

free space on hard drives makes a difference in speed?
what if i had 160 GB of space and lets say... 80 gb was used, would my speed be low??

Seagate=Maxtor so to say one is better than the other is dumb. Me, my dad, my dads friends, my friends, and there borthers and cousins all have had every single WD HD fail on them. I have 20meg Maxtor HDs that still work and i even use the first big HD i ever got (a 3gig Maxtor) as a backup sometimes. I have 3 WD HDs that are dead right now in my trash can, a 160gig, 80gig, and a 40gig. After they died in my friends computer he went out and bought brand new Maxtor HDs and has had no problem. He now has a 250 and a 300 SATA. I punted the WDs out my backdoor into our trash can.

well i never had any of my maxtors die on me
irst one to have problems is 200 due to me dropping it all the time and disconnecting while in use it had some bad sectors or somethin but it works now otherwise i have used and still using about 8 maxtor drives
but i never really looked at performance compared to other brandsi mean at same rpm there wouldnt really be any notticeable difference

of course if u know what u doing and pick components carefully with each component bringing faster performance unnoticeable
but all components together will add up to faster computer overall

P.P. Mguire said:
Seagate=Maxtor
not really. although Seagate now owns Maxtor, the Seagate and Maxtor drives are still different, and they both sell their own drives under their own name.
at least for now, Maxtor drives are the same as they were, and Seagate drives are the same as they were. although that may change as time goes on

I have had a seagate hdd catch on fire, but that wasn't the hdd fault. I took it to a friends house to get files off it and then format it ready for my new build, but his PSU couldn't take the extra load, and sent a surge to the hdd and the cathode on the same wire. I recieved a replacement with in the week, which I was pleased about.

I have also used WD on my sisters build, and found the build quality terrible. The welding round the edge looked like it was done wrong, then grinded away and just had spot welds put round it instead. The back of the hdd where you put the cables in was very wobberly and felt like it was going to come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom