mobo/cpu combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
My story is this, I have had tons of problems with my computer, and I have very little money. I replaced the PSU with a bigger unit, fairly new harddrive, refurbished 6800 vid card. The only thing left for me to do is the motherboard and cpu. This is going to be a heck of a downgrade for me, but I need a working PC.

I will not spend over 120 dollars. Here is the cheapest combo I found, it needs to have a AGP 8x slot and it needs to be reliable. I love this one because the CPU is a cool running mobile athlon and it's already installed on the board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185062

This will be my first motherboard intsall, and have only one fear, and that's hooking up the small wires for the case's power switch and usb ports to the motherboard, does anyone have a link to a how-to for that?

Thanks

Won't boot. Won't even power up. The fans won't turn on and the PSU's own fans won't turn on. I thought it was the PSU that died, but I've replaced it twice. The video card maybe, but I tried two cards that I know work and that didn't help. The harddrive is fairly new, but wouldn't cause this problem anyway. Watch after I replaced the motherboard and CPU, I'll find out the power button on the case doesn't work anymore, LOL.

By the time I'm done with this computer, it'll be nothing but new parts. I need a different brand mobo anyway, ASUS' tech support bites big time.

So, I haven't heard much of PC Chips, are they a good brand?

PM me and when I get settled into my new place, I'll get back to you. It may be a couple months. I'm in the middle of a break up and we have to sell the house and both find new places to live. All I ask is that you pay for shipping. I have the P4P 800 E deluxe mobo (no blown caps that I can tell), the Prescott core 3.2 P4, and a cheap Raidmax 420 watt PSU so far. I may replace the hybrid 6800 (it's a plain jane 6800 only it has DDR3) in the future too.

I need someone to chime in about the PC Chips board, is this quality stuff? I also hear that the AMD mobile 2800 that comes with this board only runs at 1.6ghz, is this bad?

I know I hate ASUS, but this is what I have come up with.

AMD Sempron 64 2600+
$71

ASUS K8U-X ULi M1689
$45

I can always upgrade later when i have more income. I am not even buying this myself, my fiancee is getting it for me as a sort of break-up/house warming present.

Asus is better than PC-Chips. Once you get that setup, overclock it as much as you can to get the max performance on it.

Edit:

Did you short the 2 pins on the motherboard to manually start it to rule out the power switch being the issue? I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom