x2 3800+ overclocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
the ratio i'm talking about is that in extreme cases the potential difference between half vdimm and vcore can collapse the memory controller. by the way the OCZ gold i am running is manufactured with BH-5 chips. i am having some temperature troubles because its summer and we've been having days hitting about 35-40 degrees average this week. with a +10-15c on ambient temps that puts it a little higher than my comfort zone. i'm holding it at 2.4ghz until either i get a new cooler or the temperatures drop around here. ultimately i want to hit somewhere between 2.6-2.8ghz which i think should be possible given that my processor can run at such low vcore.

edit: by the way i'd like to point out that at 2.4ghz thats effectively 2x3800+ cores :D

thank god your australian!!! :) probably about $50-$100 unless i go with a liquid cooling kit. i was thinking of getting a TT big typhoon cooler which reatail for like $80 around my suburb or a giant zalman 7700/9000 (i think those are the model numbers) whatever basically a giant *** piece of copper manufactured by zalman. i think i will just stick to a decent air cooler for now because my temps should be nice enough considering i haven't even got AS5 on the stock HSF so an aftermarket cooler+AS5 should give a considerable temp drop. as soon as i need something extreme though i'm going for liquid.

nitestick said:
the ratio i'm talking about is that in extreme cases the potential difference between half vdimm and vcore can collapse the memory controller. by the way the OCZ gold i am running is manufactured with BH-5 chips. i am having some temperature troubles because its summer and we've been having days hitting about 35-40 degrees average this week. with a +10-15c on ambient temps that puts it a little higher than my comfort zone. i'm holding it at 2.4ghz until either i get a new cooler or the temperatures drop around here. ultimately i want to hit somewhere between 2.6-2.8ghz which i think should be possible given that my processor can run at such low vcore.

edit: by the way i'd like to point out that at 2.4ghz thats effectively 2x3800+ cores :D
Yeah, you have the RAM right in your sig, lol, I missed that.

So what vdimm are you running? I would think that you have to be dangerously close to risking too low of vcore if your running BH-5's. Here is a chart btw, it isn't necessarily "half vdimm." Keep in mind though these are minimums, I probably wouldn't push it that far.

Vdimm - Vcpu(min)
----------------------------
2.9 V --- 1.12 V (min)
3.0 V --- 1.17 V (min)
3.1 V --- 1.22 V (min)
3.2 V --- 1.28 V (min)
3.3 V --- 1.33 V (min)
3.4 V --- 1.37 V (min)
3.5 V --- 1.42 V (min)
3.6 V --- 1.47 V (min)
3.7 V --- 1.53 V (min)
3.8 V --- 1.58 V (min)
3.9 V --- 1.62 V (min)
4.0 V --- 1.67 V (min)

If your going Thermaltake and dont mind noise then get the Coppertower 112. I have 2 Vantec Tornados on it running off of a fan controller. In any case im like you and dont wanna take it further cause if i did id have to crank my voltage up and my fans as well. 2.5 is good enough for me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom