burn-in debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
well heres a topic that never gets a clear answer anywhere. i want everyones opinions on the best method of burning in a cpu for a better overclock. i already have mine

you get your brand new beautiful cpu out of its box and build your pc, install windows etc and have your fun for about an hour but in my opinion if you are serious about getting a decent overclock out of it you will restrain yourself and once its set up run prime95 for at least 24 hours straight. then after you've had at least a week through it and at least 100 hours of operation you can go for a small overclock, running prime to make sure its stable again, perhaps for 12 hours+. but after you've had your small overclock take it back to stock and give it a week or two more operation running prime95 for a few hours here and there. from here on in its basically the whole idea of dropping the voltage and forcing the computer to work. if you like you can work it up over weeks by upping the overclock and running prime again always trying to keep the voltage as low as possible and still having windows boot. prime95 will probably crash under low voltage and you may get a complete lockup but persist and keep trying to run it and eventually you should see some progress.

perhaps but still. without even running prime95 at stock out of the box you can't tell if you have a dud or not. maybe my method is slightly flawed who knows but i can't afford another cpu to find out. all i know is it worked pretty well on mine stable at 2.4ghz@1.325v as opposed to stock 2.0ghz@1.35v.

edit: lol my method could be majorly flawed for all i know but thats the whole point of this. opinion. i want to know what everyone else thinks. maybe we can even come to some sort of a consensus and actually have the first comprehensive guide i've seen on the net to burning-in.

Get it out of the box, play around with it, make sure its working. THen overclock it staying at stock the next day, once you have the raise the voltage back down a little bit, then burn in for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom