add hdd??

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry18

Daemon Poster
ok, so heres what ive done, formatted old 7.2k hdd, to wipe it, put a new 10k hdd in the and installed the os, it was sata, so it uses one of those thin cables, anyways, so then i put the old ide 7.2k hdd back, plug it in as slave, using the big round ide cable, but now it keeps trying to install windows on that hdd, as it is blank and i formatted it.
i changed the boot sequence so it does the 10k hdd first, but it still loads up the 7.2k one first any ideas??

is the 10K drive SATA? you'll need to install SATA drivers for it. when the 2000/XP/2003 disk loads, it will say "press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.
you need to press F6 then, and put in a disk with SATA drivers. it will probabbly be your motherboard's disk.

ok, so im confused, do i need to reinstall windows, its not a raid setup, the drives are differnt?

if the drive is a SATA drive (not IDE) you will need to install SATA drivers.

I assume you're trying to load Windows 2000, XP or 2003. when the disk is loading after booting from it, it will say "press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.
press F6 then.

then you'll need to find your motherboard's disk where the SATA drivers should be

umm, well i have installed windows on the sata 10k drive, and am using it fine, the problem is when i connect up the 7.2k ide drive it keeps trying to load that up, which is a half installed copy of windows, and i want to boot the sata drive, but seeing as im using the sata, i figuured its already instlled right?

So, reformat the 7.2 drive. That should clear up the booting from that HD issue. I had a similar problem due to my laziness, but it was a 4 day set up so i didn't really care.

thats what i did reformat it, it did the reformat but i stopped it when it got to the windows installion part, but when i plug it in, thats where it trys to contiue from, instaed of just booting windws for the sata drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom