64 bit processes... NO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
Alright guys,

What do you guys think about the 64bit processors...
I'm not quite sure how they work but are 32bit computers gonna be worthless in the future or anytime soon. I'm kinda worried cuz I just bought a Core Duo and just found out that it doesn't have 64bit capabilites. What is 64bit processors good for anway? Man, if 64 bit is something big that I shoulda got, I'm gonna be SOOOOO BUMMED~ :(

I don't know, I was kinda into this whole Core Duo thing. Is 64 bit that big of deal? What type of audience would it affect the most... like business people, gamers, general computer users...

it doesnt seem like 64 bit is gonna affect business.. but gamers yes.. games are beginning to utilize these 64 bit processors... like cs source for example

Having 64 bit is for bragging rights only. The applications that are available for the 64 bit are very limited. And the only o/s is Windows XP and that was built for 32 bit. The 64 version is a cobbled together fix, and unreliable. I will wait for Longhorn (forget what the new name is) before going 64 bit, or PCI-e or anything else new.

i don't think you could really say its for bragging rights.. everything starts off small.... give it time.. whoopsie.. corrected that.. misread...

64-bit isn't bragging rights because today's 64-bit processors own all 32-bit processors even in 32-bit mode. Try matching up an X2 4400+ vs. an Athlon XP 3000+ and we'll see who wins. Most people here are too young to remember, but we had 32-bit processors long, long before 32-bit OS made it to the mainstream.

First mainstream 32-bit CPU: 1985
First mainstream (consumer) 32-bit OS: 1995

actually, my [un-tech-educated] step-dad just got a new laptop and ended up going with the x64 because the guy told him to at best buy or one of those types of places... and i was surprised that they would even attempt to sell a home user an amd just because it is 64-bit. Also, it is no where near fair to compare an xp to an x2.... they were/are both great at one point in time. IMO, a 64 bit processor is not necessary for an averagish user. True, some games do use the 64 bit capabilities of the processor, but it will take a while to catch on.

Getting an x2 isnt a bad idea, but think about what your using it for... if it is going to be used for hard core gaming, 3d mapping, or something of the sort, get the x2.... however unless its a prebuilt system, you'd have to return all the parts and basically start over because the core duo is a socket 478, x2 is a socket 939.... which means new mobo, new psu possibly, new memory.... ah you get it

Is anybody an engineer major? or an engineer? I want to know if I got the right type of laptop for engineering software/applications. I'm a student and might go into engineering... but I think this is good enough specs, right?

1.83 ghz core duo
512mb ddr2 sdram 667mhz (probably upgrade to 1gb/2gb in the future)
60gb HD
GMA950
and all the dvd burner and network stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom