Why is Intel so popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man talk about AMD fanboys just perpetuation things they've heard. Just go for whatever one gives a good price/performance ratio always, ATI/NVIDIA, ITEL/AMD fanboys are idiots end of story.

Also dont be so hard on Intel all the time, if it wasnt for them computers wouldnt be anywhere near as good as they are now. They have done a lot of other things asides from making processors.

I didn't intend to start any negative posting. I thought that perhaps with my significant age (46 by the way) and experience this was perhaps a way to have an intelligent conversation about a subject that has some revelance for posters on this board. In re-reading my post I regret the fact that it came across as a bit of youth bashing, but that was not my intent. I am quite aware that today's gamers are the techno geeks of tomorrow and what they are buying and thinking now will have some bearing on what companies are successful in the future. And I respect those opinions or I wouldn't have posted here looking for advice on what is the hottest gaming machine going when looking for a rig to spoil my son with. I just thought that I would challenge some of you to think beyond what seemed to be becoming a fan boy discussion with some statements that just don't bear weight. Competition is a very healthy thing and Intel isn't the only game in town, as I think I noted. But I also think that was is coming down the pike will put Intel back in the lead very soon. I also quite often think that those spending so much money on what I can only classify as toys would be so much better served investing those dollars instead of buying stuff that is too quickly obsolete. But as an admitted toy freak, I can understand the motivation ;-) Just an idea though, next time you are thinking about what to spend your money on, spend half of what you first planned and invest the other half after some decent research. When you are as old as me, then you will be able to buy even better toys!
No need to apologize, that was one of the most inteligent posts ive seen in a while w/out intent flame, only educate.

the answer is both simple and painfully obvious..................Intel sold their souls to the devil

lol (Nubius)....
but after reading all 5 pages of this thread, ive noticed some things and have a few questions of my own that relatae to the subject.

First, is it just me or does this whole intel vs amd thing look a lot like the old mac vs pc debate? Macs were (in some areas today) better than pc's, but had a slower clock speed. for some reason i find this to be very interesting...

second, to address the first post about why intel is more popular (i belive that was the question, lol) is because home, office, and education department buyers will almost NEVER do their homework as someone has mentioned. They will buy in bulk what is either cheapest, easiest, or addiqute for the job they want it for. If they could research a little and figure out how to really use a computer and how it works, they may just realize how amd can overtake intel today. Almost all computer users today have one thing in common. They are afraid of them and think they are too complex for a human to understand. If people knew as much as they do about cars as they do computers, no one would know about cruse control, people would be wondering how to use the "window wipping devices", etc. (if you care, www.computerjokes.net). they way i learned about computers is because a friend said i needed more ram and i tried to steal some off the internet :p

thirdly, someone said something about Intel's stock being a much better choice. Without having any formal finacial education, i would beg to differ. Management is much easier for AMD than intel, the number of supporters is hugly increasing, they have great revinue, more companies are starting to use AMD's chips.... basically, AMD is alread on the bottom, where Intel has room to fall....

finally, i have a quick question... why does intel have higher clock speeds and lower performance... i've always kind of wondered this, known how to calculate the "real" clock speed, w/e but never known why. I figure it has to do with the FSB or something, but im not completelly sure, so could anyone shed some light on that?

thats pretty much my input for this thread, sorry if im carrying this off topic

-Tom

about last spring was when i was truely computer retarded but from then ive done my research and built my own computer recently with a amd and i just think that intels have been around longer so people just think they are better and they don't bother to do the research and before i knew anything about computers i didn't even know what amd was so its pretty much the if it ain't broke don't fix it view with people the intel chips have worked adequately enough for them so they go with them the people that know what they are doing do the research and pick whichever one is better for them

SomeIranianKid said:
about last spring was when i was truely computer retarded but from then ive done my research and built my own computer recently with a amd and i just think that intels have been around longer so people just think they are better and they don't bother to do the research and before i knew anything about computers i didn't even know what amd was so its pretty much the if it ain't broke don't fix it view with people the intel chips have worked adequately enough for them so they go with them the people that know what they are doing do the research and pick whichever one is better for them
That is a good post to some up what i said, if a company has worked for them, why leave. Same thing with games & micrsoft, according to some, Linux is better but the majority of people have windows so game developers make games for windows.

P.P. Mguire said:
The Achitecture of an AMD chip allows it to do more processes in a single thread than Intel.

Haha, no. Don't bring stuff out of nowhere.

The architecture of an AMD chip allows it to send an instruction faster through its pipeline. Thats why AMD can get by with fewer clockspeeds. Nothing about more processes in a single thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom