Computer Crashing- Blue Screen! BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

xr280xr

Baseband Member
Hi,

I'm running Windows XP pro on a home built computer. It was randomly restarting for a while so I turned off restart on system error. Now I get a blue screen saying Stop 0x000000FE and the name is BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER. I don't know what this means. I have a usb hub attached to one port with a printer and an empty cable attached. And a webcam attached to another port. I have never been present when this blue screen occurs, it's always when the computer's idle. Once when restarting after this blue screen I got another blue screen: Stop 0x000000E1 "Worker thread returned at bad IRQ". Do I have a USB related IRQ conflict or something?

Another thing I've seen is I've got this Micro Advantage dual layer dvd burner installed. It frequently will just restart my computer. Sometimes it happens when I put in a dvd and it will just restart and it consistently happens when I am copying files from a cd in that drive, and then push the Up button (to go up one directory).

The event manager often reports these events a minute or two before the error:

Code:
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped (or sometimes it says 'running') state.

The SNMP Service has started successfully.

The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the running state.

It apparently happened just after I severed a remote desktop connection this last time. Can anyone put the peices together to solve this problem? Thanks.

P.S. Everything has an installed driver in device manager.

Run checkdisk first. Then Run a few anti spyware tools, ie, adaware, msantispy, spybot... then uninstall the hardware from above and reinstall. See what happens.

You might have to do a bit more than that, but it's a start. The drastic step is to remove all drivers for everything you don't need, including video card, and then uninstall the PCI bus to reset all installed values. This takes a little longer, but the end result is a cleaner hardware environment. There are some other things you can do in the registry, but for now, we'll keep it simple.

No, I didn't really just install anything. For a long time it was just restarting without me knowing. Then I turned off restart on system error and now I see every time it happens. I ran chkdsk this morning on the second partition and right as it's finishing it got a another blue screen: IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop 0x0000000A.

Is there a way I can check to see if I have an IRQ conflict? I'm going to start uninstalling drivers, most suspicious to least. The problem is the original blue screen happens so infrequently I won't really know if it's gone or not.

Serial or Parallel Ports - If you've installed a new card, serial or parallel device and it's not working, the new port may be trying to use an IRQ setting assigned to more then one device or an old port. You can disable the existing ports via the Control Panel. When a hardware device needs the CPU to do something, such as when the keyboard needs a keystroke to be processed, the device passes a number, called an interrupt request number or IRQ, to the CPU.

During the boot process, a unique IRQ is assigned to each hardware device that requires one, and uniquely identifies that device as wall as the software that controls it. A device requires an IRQ if it can initiate an action or provide input to the computer. Some devices that are assigned IRQs include the disk drive, the mouse, and keyboard. The CPU uses an IRQ to identify the peripheral and find the software that controls it.

A conflict can occur if more then one device is assigned the same IRQ or I/O address during the POST. These conflicts are resolved on older expansion cards by changing DIP switches or jumper settings. This change causes the card to request an alternative IRQ or I/O address. For example , if a scanner card and a network card both request IRQ 10, then there is a conflict.

Startup BIOS or the OS cannot write the memory address of the network drive in the same I/O address location associated with IRQ 10 if the memory address of the scanner drive is already written there. If this were to happen, and the scanner asked for service by sending IRQ 10 to the CPU, the CPU would respond with a network drive.

In this case, probably neither the scanner nor the network card would work. If you encounter a conflict, check both cards. Most likely one of them has a jumper that you can set so that the card request an IRQ other than 10.

With newer cards, called Plug-and-play cards, instead of having to set DIP switches and jumpers to identify information about hardware and its configuration, the startup BIOS automatically chooses the resources (such as IRQ or I/O addresses) that are assigned to the card. Because the BIOS can select the resources, conflicts are easily resolved using Plug-and-Play cards. Of course, the BIOS must be the kind that manage Plug-and-Play devices and is called Plug-and-Play BIOS. The OS must also be Plug-and-Play.

Evidence Eliminator ~ This program offers complete protection, eliminating tracks you accumulate online. Speed-Up... your PC and Internet Browser, reclaim lost Hard Disk space - All in one click of your mouse! WebTechGeek Members Massive Discount Click Here To Download Now!

The steps:

1. Right click on My Computer, then click on properties, then click on Device Manager. Or, click on Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel, Double-click System, and then click the Device Manager tab to display all devices.

2. An exclamation point ( ! ) in a yellow circle will appear next to the names of ports or device that are conflicting. Click the (+) sign next to Ports (COM and LPT) to display current ports.

3. You can move any devices from the conflicting ports to the new ports. or move the conflicting card to an new card slot. Then restart the computer, Windows should now detect the new attached devices.

4. Double-click the names of the conflicting COM or LPT ports. Click the check box by "Disable in this hardware profile."

7. Click OK, and then restart the computer. Windows should now detect the new serial or parallel ports and the attached devices.

Well it's obviously plug and play since it's windows XP. The only card in the thing is an ATI 9800 pro AGP video card. Everything else is integrated. No errors in the device manager so I guess it's not an IRQ conflict? Probly just a crappy driver. Just gotta figure out which one.

Something you can try is turning off the integrated components to see if this resolves the problem. It will also free up resources that are not used. If you don't have anything on the serial ports, not SATA, just serial, turn them off. Same for Parallel. This will free up resources that might be doing something weird.

Not exactly. I'm suspecting the dual layer cd drive's driver more and more as I go on. The bad news is that company went under and I can't even seem to find the original driver yet. I haven't had time to reinstall it yet to see if that helps. One thing I have done is unplug a USB hub and so far have not had a crash, but that doesn't mean I won't. Thanks.

Similar problem while ripping

I too get this blue screen of death.

I am trying to rip a cd to mp3 with a iomega cd-rw on the USB2.

Any Thoughts as to what to try next?

Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom