general question re: ram + power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool2Die4

Beta member
just a general question...i am at work so i cannot post all my HW specs.

i have a 350W power supply. i have a 512mb stick of crucial ram in the mobo right now. i have another identical 512mb stick of crucial ram that i tried to put in, but the system crashes shortly (BSOD) after logging onto windows. i can get either stick to work, if it is in by itself, but i cannot get them in together.

question: can adding the second stick be enough to put me over the edge power wise? i am running 2 or 3 system fans, 2 hard drives, and 2 cd drives, so it seems there is a decent tax on the PSU.

i have been doing reading, and apparently there can be some issues with using mulitple sticks on this mobo (kt600 chipset). like the noob i am, i didnt know ctrl+f1 opened up more options in the BIOS. i will have to check those out.

it just didnt make sense that two exactly identical sticks would work one at a time, but putting both in made the system go kaputz.

turns out it was a BIOS issue. was due for a re-format, and i updated the BIOS too, and that solved it. have the sticks in the 1st and 3rd slots, and it runs fine.

OK....
Glad to hear it worked out ok.
Updating BIOS sometimes turn into disaaters; so I'm happy it worked for the best.
Cheers.,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom