Motherboard or CPU dead? Unknown beep codes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Ok guys, I have a serious issue here. I was building a new case for my computer, everything is going great, I put all the parts back in. I start or try to start and I get a beep code. 1 long beep, long pause, 1 long beep, and it continues. I have removed and reseated everything including the processor. I have it currently narrowed down to the motherboard being damaged or the CPU fried. Does ANYONE have any idea how I could go about telling which part has died, because I can't really afford a new processor or motherboard since there are no more good motherboards that support AGP and socket 754 around...If it is the processor I will live with a **** 32bit sempron. But please, anyone have any idea?

Specs are in my sig.

Thing is, I get the beep code with out the RAM/GPU installed... And I have looked on the MSI website and the Award BIOS website and several others and most say that it is an unknown beep code... Or they just don't list it.

Do you have another video card or onboard video to test this theory. Also, did you try running the PC with 1 of your 256mb sticks? Do you have a different stick of RAM to try. I am going to stand by that error code leading to video or memory.

Do you have a 'D-bracket connector' with the Leds for troubleshooting POST errors?
Maybe that will help pinpoint the problem!
See manual or BIOS website for error diagnosis!
* maybe a local computer shop can check your CPU.

Our local shop don't work with 64bit processors unless they build a custom machine... And some reason when I got home when I tried to turn it on again it started right up... And I do have the D bracket, 1 = green, 2= green, 3= red, 4= green which means it was hanging at the keyboard thing... Anyways its working again...

CS.....
I had a 'bad keyboard' and didn't even notice it.
It prevented me from getting into the CMOS/BIOS with the
"DEL" key or "Ctrl +F"....... otherwise it seemed to work OK.
You can get a decent (spare) keyboard for $10 . I think its a good idea, just to have a spare for yourself, or another computer you may have.
Cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom