Wired can but wireless cannot connect to internet on wireless broadband router

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennywireless2

Solid State Member
Having set up a home network consisting of 2 PCs and 1 laptop via a wireless broadband router. I have no problems surfing internet on the 2 PCs (both WinXP Home) as they are hard-wired to the router.

However, there is problem surfing or even getting an IP address for the laptop (WinXP Home) as it is connected via a wireless USB box. If I do an ipconfig it says that 'media is disconnected' although it is verified that it is working as there are lights on the wireless USB box. Please help!

reinstall the usb wireless box. I have had many problems with those. also do you have wep encryption on your router? can you see any wirelsess networks?

Yes, I can see other wireless networks but not my own even with SSID broadcast enabled. As for WEP, I have disabled it.

go 2 ur LoopBack Address (Default is 172.168.0.1) Login then go to Wireless Configuration and put in the other computer's MAC address. to get this go into Command Prompt and then type in getmac.exe then type in one of lines of numbers aslong as it says "Media Disconnected" next to it.

sinci said:
go 2 ur LoopBack Address (Default is 172.168.0.1) Login then go to Wireless Configuration and put in the other computer's MAC address. to get this go into Command Prompt and then type in getmac.exe then type in one of lines of numbers aslong as it says "Media Disconnected" next to it.

ok.... 2nd post I have seen you post a nearly identical comment.....

1st... loopback is 127.0.01......
2nd... how is using a loopback address going to help?? if you open a command promt, and ping the loopback address, it only tests LAYER 7 of the NIC card.... doesn't mean JACK.
3rd.... to find out a MAC address... open command window... START > RUN, enter 'CMD' then press enter.... next, type 'IPCONFIG /ALL'

Best bet is to try and reinstall the USB adaptor... also, make sure that the drivers are up to date.

EDIT: sorry I am tired.... lol.... have you verified if the USB and router are compatible together??? There are currently 3 flavors of wireless.....

802.11a
802.11b
802.11g

what type is each device?

Ok, all devices use 802.11g at 54Mbps including the wireless broadband router and brand for all wireless are D-Link so should be no problem with compatibility.

Is wireless enable? because I thought with these router you could disable and enable the wireless function....

Forgot to mention, doing the loopback test is a good idea to make sure your NIC card is working properly. So do it anyways just to be sure

Yes, wireless is enabled together with SSID broadcast also enabled.

However, the strange thing is that it can see other people's wireless networks except my own so it means wireless driver installation is successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom