Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahamut

Baseband Member
What are the pros and cons of using a firewall? I do not have windows firewall turned on right now. Do you recommend I keep it on at all times?

Bahamut said:
What are the pros and cons of using a firewall? I do not have windows firewall turned on right now. Do you recommend I keep it on at all times?

I personally recomend using hardware firewalls if you are just worried about keeping stuff out. Hardware firewalls must be configured to keep stuff in.

However cheaper routers / firewalls are nearly impossisble to configure with their default OS's on them.

Well, I currently do not have a firewall right now, and dont think a router will work with x64. I am using Bellsouth FastAccess. Do you think that has its own firewall? If not, what is a decent FREE firewall that I can d/l? I am considering AVG 7.1 that is compat with x64, but 2-year licenses?? That's a pain to pay. What would you guys suggest I get for a firewall? BTW, ZoneAlarm does not work with x64. Thanks!!

I second DJ-Chris's recommendation. If you have an older PC not being used (like a Pentium or PII), you can download andd install any number of firewall applications and have your own, customizable firewall appliance.

Firewalls prevent bad guys (hackers, scripts-kiddies, certain worms, etc) from infiltrating your computer and using it for stuff like sending out spam or as a zombie for Denial of Service attacks against other computers.

Dngrsone said:
I second DJ-Chris's recommendation. If you have an older PC not being used (like a Pentium or PII), you can download andd install any number of firewall applications and have your own, customizable firewall appliance.

Firewalls prevent bad guys (hackers, scripts-kiddies, certain worms, etc) from infiltrating your computer and using it for stuff like sending out spam or as a zombie for Denial of Service attacks against other computers.

This works well instead of a true router, but these machinnes use more power.

+My router / firewall has more balls than any p1 system as well.

true but its is always a good option if all else fails. kind of pointless but i used to route my PII through my PI. Are you sure there isn't a 64 bit port of zonealarm, zonealarm is good firewall and general protection program. my personal favourite is actually the nvidia firewall (works with active armour) but its to **** glitchy :(

IMO the better firewalls are hardware firewalls. a router with SPI and NAT will give you pretty good protection from hackers.
but then you just have to avoid getting trojans.
I use Antivir Personal Edition for antivirus, and it is really effective. IMO the best of the free antivirus programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom