IRQ Assignment problems in Win98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyboy

Beta member
Hey There,
I am a new member and I need some help with Win98se IRQ'S. I bought the following items all brand new to build a system. An Asus A7V MB, Athlon 1000 T-bird, Hercules 3D Prophet II gts 64 mb video card, Creative Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1 sound card, Acer Full tower w/350watt ps,IBM Deskstar 75gxp 7200 ultra ata/100 Hard drive, Win98se O.S., etc. I bought all these items 1-2001 and put the system together. I tried to fix the problems but gave up till just recently. I loaded Win98se with no problems. My O.S. works fine with all my software but I cannot get the usb to work. I have downloaded all windows updates, all pheripheral device updates, the newest Award medallion bios ver. 6.0 revision 1011, Via 4in1 drivers ver. 4.35 (told this is best for this motherboard), and microsofts 240075up.exe and 263044usa8.exe usb fixes. Everytime I plug in a usb device the system it does not recognize the device. If I load the software it does nothing. In the device manager it will show as an unknown device. I have tried many things in the bios and in the device manager without a resolution. I think i'm close but no cookie. I have loaded and erased win98se many times trying to reassign IRQ'S, I'm sure it is an IRQ problem but need help "please" .

Attachments

• nissan2web.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 386
IRQ Assignments

Where would be the best place to look for those bios? The Asus sight is not the most user friendly site i've been to. How do I copy the msconfig file "Which One"? I have another problem I did'nt mention, When I try to use an ethernet card or modem card in the slots they won't work. They are installed and recognized but will not work. Still say it's IRQ problems. When I ask an asus tech for help they are like dummies.

Re: IRQ Assignments

Johnnyboy said:
Where would be the best place to look for those bios? The Asus sight is not the most user friendly site i've been to. How do I copy the msconfig file "Which One"? I have another problem I did'nt mention, When I try to use an ethernet card or modem card in the slots they won't work. They are installed and recognized but will not work. Still say it's IRQ problems. When I ask an asus tech for help they are like dummies.

go to bios,look until you find USB controller,enable it also
if it's IRQ problem go to devices manager,clidk ressource, make sure each device doesn't share the same I/O address for exampleI look at LPT 1 in your case, click on USB Host controller

Ressource type Setting
I/O RANGE 0378-037F

Compare with other ressource from other device(key board,sound card etc) if they have the same setting just double click on the setting to change I/O address

I hope it makes sense :)

The USB controller is enabled in the bios, I checked all the devices in the device manager and there are no conflicts in I/O's. Is there a specific address for each IRQ? Can you change the IRQ # assigned to a device by changing the address used by the device?
Still Trying!!

Johnnyboy said:
The USB controller is enabled in the bios, I checked all the devices in the device manager and there are no conflicts in I/O's. Is there a specific address for each IRQ? Can you change the IRQ # assigned to a device by changing the address used by the device?
Still Trying!!

I need some informations:

1/In your ressources in USB is "Use automatic setting" checked?
2/what do you have in yr ressources? do you have I/O and Interrupt request? mine is 11

check underneath of setting :

Could you 2 click on? for example I/O E400-E41E( MY RESSOURCE), you should be prompted with other I/O , choose the new one,it should work

You're right each I/O is assigned to IRQ

IRQ Assignment in Win98

Hey Kopenhagen,
The interrupt request is 10 for both usb host controllers. I have tried turning automatic setting off and on, changing the I/O addresses, disabling IRQ steering in the PCI bus in the Device manager, turning off plug and play in the bios, etc. The problem seems to be that I change the I/O addresses for devices but without a list of exactly what I/O addresses are assigned to each IRQ the physical devices are not moving to the Irq I wish to assign them to. When I change the I/O address I get no conflict with any other device but the IRQ # is staying the same and according to the USB standards i've read Usb is very touchy and will continue having problems until I can seperate them and assign the Via 8035 USB host controllers their own private IRQ. I can and have disabled one of the serial ports, and the parallel port in order to free IRQ's, however because I do not know and can't find the particular I/O addresses of those IRQ's and the Operating system will not move the controllers to those IRQ's on it's own I still have problems. I have also learned how to reserve resources in the device manager for a particular IRQ but without their I/O address it does no good. I also have some control over IRQ assignment in the Bios by assigning an Irq to an add-on legacy card but when I do windows for some reason adds other things like acpi irq holder for pci steering, sci irq used by acpi bus, etc. to that IRQ. I think (don't know if that's good) that if I can find out those infamous IRQ I/O addresses I might have a chance. DMA addressing is also a question and I can't seem to find any good info on this in relation to the IRQ assignment.
Anymore help will be much appreciated!!!

Re: IRQ Assignment in Win98

what I/O addresses are assigned to each IRQ the physical devices are not moving to the Irq I wish to assign them to.
This is weird, when I had Win 98SE, I had IRQ conflict, they let me change I/O add!

but the IRQ # is staying the same and according to the USB standards i've read Usb is very touchy and will continue having problems until I can seperate them and assign the Via 8035 USB host controllers their own private IRQ. you seem to do the most of it,did you try to uninstall USB and reinstall again?the error must come from there when you remove some devices and I/O were not assigned at the right IRQ

I can and have disabled one of the serial ports, and the parallel port in order to free IRQ's, however because I do not know and can't find the particular I/O addresses of those IRQ's and the Operating system will not move the controllers to those IRQ's on it's own I still have problems.
You don't need at the beginning to find any I/O to assign to IRQ if you have In your USB "Use automatic setting" checked?

I have also learned how to reserve resources in the device manager for a particular IRQ but without their I/O address it does no good. I also have some control over IRQ assignment in the Bios by assigning an Irq to an add-on legacy card but when I do windows for some reason adds other things like acpi irq holder for pci steering, sci irq used by acpi bus, etc. to that IRQ.
I don't know about it, it looks like you have PNP(plug and play)I don't think legacy is concerned.Yr mobo shoud tell you if you need to handle IRQ manual setting?

DMA addressing is also a question and I can't seem to find any good info on this in relation to the IRQ assignment.

I don't have any DMA at least in USB controller ,so there is no need to touch it, at worst case, you will have to format yr drive and start from scratch...
PS: you mentioned earlier that you contacted TEch support(the one who sold yr system?) about this issue, they didn't have a clue which is weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom