Xp Or 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No sence in spending extra money on a computer system that will not have any software or OS to truely utilise it's performance. Either get the Athlon Xp , or just wait for the Athlon 64 to come down in price.

I am going to max out my current set up before I go over to an Athlon 64 Fx.

Yeah I have to say that if there are no 64-bit programs out there, having a 64-bit CPU is pretty useless.
When 64-bit is more heavily utilized and AMD 64 price goes down, re-rig your setup to accomodate, but until then just go with the XP.

I would rather wait a while before going to the 64 ... By then i'm sure we'll have a better choice of 64 bit processors

N' also ..it's gonna take time for software to start taking advantage of the 64bit ..
Why blow a fortune on it right now :rolleyes:

even if there arent 64 bit rograms now it dosent change the fact that the chip is still faster

as for the OBMC it does all the athlon 64 chips have them I think you are thinking of dual channel memory which only the fx 51 has

amd643200+ said:

as for the OBMC it does all the athlon 64 chips have them I think you are thinking of dual channel memory which only the fx 51 has

Yeah youre right. I was going off memory there and I had remembered Maximum PC dinged the 64 for not having something concerning memory that the FX-51 had. I didnt think that it could have just been single vs. dual channel but I guess I was wrong.

Oh and by the way:

(Prices from tigerdirect.com)

The Athlon 64 3200+ is only 70$ more than the Athlon XP 3200+. With all the enw stuff packed into the 64, why save the 70?

the 64 3400 actually blew away the P4's and outperformed the P4 extreme in all tests; for a chip half the price of a P4 extreme, lower price, and 64 bit ready. IMO the 3200 or the 3400 Athlon 64's are the ones to get.

thats what I was saying the whole time

people mainly focus on the 64 bit aspect and think that if thats not relavant than its not worth going 64

however their are enough performance enhancements in that take place in the 32 bit world that make it a great deal and a good price compaired to a p4 of the 3.2 ghz

True_Orb said:
Yeah I have to say that if there are no 64-bit programs out there, having a 64-bit CPU is pretty useless.

Well, if you do get yourself an AMD Athlon 64, you can fill out the paper work and get a copy of Windows Xp 64-Bit, Unreal Tornament 2004 64-bit and some Div-X 64-bit software directly from AMD.

Although I am looking forward to getting my hands on UT2k4, and Iplay enough UT2k3 as is, my computer does get used for other things.

True_Orb said:
When 64-bit is more heavily utilized and AMD 64 price goes down, re-rig your setup to accomodate, but until then just go with the XP.

Better BANG for your BUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom