Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic

Baseband Member
I'm buying a new hard drive. I currently own a 40 GB WESTERN DIGITAL harddrive and I was planning on buying a 160 GB Seagate.

If I do this can I put all my music, movies and other files onto the seagate (after putting windows xp on it) while both drives are in the same computer? I plan on formatting the first drive and using it for linux and unix.

I'm asking because I'm unsure about mix and matching brands and the Seagate is wayyyyyy cheaper than the wd. :p

Thnx in advance.

I don't think mixing differnt HDs is a problem that you should worry about its would be like mixing drives like say one is sony and a off brand one there isn't a problem with doing that. jsut when it comes to ram is about the only problem you would have with mixing the brands.

Ok, thanks. If I do I'm sure I'll be posting again. lol :D

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I could do that.

Grab a copy of Ghost to transfer everything from your old HD to the new one.

I just upgraded from a 40gig WD to a 160gig Seagate myself. Ghost moved it all without a hitch, and even enlarged the partition for me.

Be sure to have it copy the MBR (master boot record) and check for errors.

When it comes to hard disk management, I always use Partition Magic 8. Perform any "magic" with your drive, move to other HD, resise, rearrange partitions with no data loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom