Need advice on first gaming computer, never built my own, around $2,000 budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what Im thinking
OCZ 600Watt PSU
Whatever case you want (Needs alot of fans)
DFI Lanparty UT
2 GB's Giel or OCZ RAM (2x1GB)
Blue Gears 7.1 Mystique Sound card
2 Raptors RAID 0
200GB SATA HD (For Backup)
2 Plextor DVD Burners
AMD Athlon 64 4400+ Toledo
BFG x1900x 256MB

I Dunnue what that comes up to be however, we can always go cheaper On Case and other not so important components if need be.

trust me, you will get addicted LOL. i jsut finished building my rig last saturday and im so hooked on everything. i finished sleeving my cables(all of them,power ,fans etc.) and it dropepd my temps so much. i wuld advise do that. also dont forget to get a heatsink fan and arctic silver 5. for the heatsink fan you can get the thermaltake big typhoon(50 bucks) that has the heatsinkm and fan or another good choice is the thermalright xp-90 or xp-90c(copper, better but more money,both around 50 bucks) but you would need to get a 92mm fan for it.

Since we've talking on AIM, I don't think I need to explain too much stuff.

Case - Aspire X-Plorer - $75.
Monitor - Viewsonic VX922 - $400.
Motherboard - DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D - $130.
Processor - AMD Opteron 170 Socket 939 2.0GHz Dual Core - $415.
Memory - OCZ Gold Edition 2 x 1GB DDR500 - $227.
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 250Gb SATA150 HDD - $103.
Videocard - connect3D Radeon X1900XT - $510.
Sound Card - Creative X-Fi Sound Card - $122.
Power Supply - Antec TruepowerII 550W PSU - $90.
DVD Burners - BenQ IDE Drive - $37. AS WELL AS; NEC IDE Drive - $39.
Floppy Drive - Samsung Black Floppy Drive - $9.45 :)
Speakers - Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers - $56.
Mouse - Logitech MX518 - $34.
Keyboard - Logitech Media Elite - $27.
Operating System - Microsoft WindowsXP Professional w/SP2 - $140.
CPU Cooler - ZALMAN CNPS9500 Cooler - $62.
Videocard cooler - ZALMAN VF700 VGA Cooler - $30.
Thermal paste - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - $6.

$2507.6 without S/H and Tax.

$2753.92 Total, except I cannot calculate the tax for the processor because it is out of stock and I can't add it to the shopping cart.

$2782.97 is what I'm calculating with a 7% tax, which is what I think is the norm.

Its not that i dont want to overclock its just ive never done it before, so i dont know what to expect. Ive got a lot to research now and Flanker helped me out a lot on aim. I might look for a better case that has more cooling, and i already have xp pro, and a mouse and keyboard. Thanks for the help guys this forum rocks.

well i thought overclocking a video card would be overwhelming.. but its actually really easy... but a processor, i'm not too sure on that one... i'll get back to you on that in about 2 and a half weeks!

Overclocking a videocard is simply moving a slider from the left to the right, lol. I already sent DavezFever overclocking guides and if you PM me, I'll send you some too. You'll learn it in like 2 hours, max. Kinda beats 2 and a half weeks ;)

Well this is what i plan on getting so far, please critique it or tell me if you would change anything.

Monitor - Viewsonic VA902b 8ms - $280
Motherboard - DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D - $130
Processor - AMD Opteron 170 Socket 939 2.0 Ghz Dual Core - $415
Memory - OCZ Gold Edition 2 x 1 GB DDR500 - $226 with $30 mail in rebate
Hard drive - Western Digital 250gb 16mb Cache - $105
Video Card - eVGA Geforce 7800GT - $314
Sound Card - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic - $122
Power Supply - Antec Truepower II 550w PSU - $90
DVD Burners - BenQ IDE - $37 and NEC IDE Drive - $39
Samsung Black Floppy Drive $10
Speakers - - $56Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
CPU Cooler - ZALMAN CNPS9500 Cooler - $62
Videocard Cooler - ZALMAN VF700 VGA Cooler - $30

I need to find a case still that is durable and cheap and still looks cool and will vent well. I was going to go with the Aspire X-Plorer for $75 but ive heard mixed reviews about it. Any suggestions on what to change?

Thanks a lot Flanker you helped me out a bunch.

Oh yea and when i did a total price amount with shipping and tax with the $75 case it turned out to be $2,204.

heres what i would change...

monitor: 17 inch better for gaming. and you save like 200$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116359

speakers: i chose these instead of the X-530s because do u really want to put all 5 speakers around your room? and its not wireless, its wired, so thats sooo wierd, your gona have soo much wires hanging, and u might even need to buy extra long speaker cords just to reach the other side of the room. these 2.1 are really good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121122

edit: also is that logitech elite keyboard even good? i kind of perfer a more gaming keyboard like the saitek eclipse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom