Alienware Questions:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sell224

Baseband Member
Ok so i got an alienware (i know i got nice parents) about a year ago, and i never really did anything to it i just got it right out of the box.

Here are the specs:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
2 gigs ram
ASUSTeK Computer INC. motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU (256 MB)

I do have a few questions though about what came with it.

First of all it came with a ton of random chords and plug ins that look like they woudl go into the computer. I have no idea what any of these do haha, are they important?

Also, when i was ordering my alienware, i was under the impression that it would be very silent because of this "alienware ice cooling system".. when in reality its very noisy indeed. Did i do something wrong when ordering? Did i not order the ice cooling system, cuz i hear some pretty noisy fans. I think it might be worth it to get the very silent cooling system for college and stuff , cuz as of now my computer is way too loud to keep on at night and stuff. Is there any way i could get it installed by alienware for more money?

Also, I ended up getting one video card in my aurora instead of 2. I was under the impression that 2 was not necessary and was used for two monitor support, which i am pretty sure is wrong. Does it really matter to only have 1?

Also.... I got an amd processor, as you can see. Its only clocked at 2.2 Ghz.. and thats not very high at all. Are AMD's measured differently? Cuz i payed a **** of a lot for this computer , and a 2.2 Ghz processor just isnt that great.

Can someone please tell me.. what is BIOS? lol. I suck at computers.

Im asking all these questions basically because, even though i do love my computer, it does have some problems. Running fraps in games TOTALLY kills my framerate.. and this really surprises me because of my specs on this computer. I was under the impression that this computer was going to be AMAZING, and even though it does run games very well, it does lag sometimes and hasn't exactly lived up to the standards i thought it would be. Can anyone answer these questions and maye point me in the right direction to make this computer more godly than it currently is haha.

AMD and Intel architecture is completely different, AMD is more efficient. An Athlon 3500 is equal to a P4 3.5ghz and is way better for games.

for definitions like BIOS, just google it and what's the question #1? i can't read man.

Its the vid card that is slowing you down if you are running your games on high settings. You have enough ram and the processor shoudl eb fine for a while, but if you want a new vid card I would wait till the new ones come out.

hmm the video card? I thought my video card was pretty good.. but i guess there are better ones out there.

What woudl you suggest i do? The SLI stuff with dual video cards (i really dont know anything about it), or just getting a new better video cards when the "new ones" (?) come out.

And how much would this cost.

oh and i have another question... I want to learn about computers. I dont know much past the basic stuff, video cards, ram, processor...

i want to know what the good stuff is, and i really dont know anything about computers.

What would you guyst suggest? Magazines? Any good websites?

okay well in amd... just think whatever the number... like 3700+ = too a 3.7 ghz pentium.... along with that, you wanna look at a l2 cache, why... i'm not too sure myself, but it seems to be a big deal, 1mb is awesome, 1mbx2 (which is dual core) is just dandy! i don't really know how to measure dual core number like 4400+ x2... that doesnt quiet work the same... uhh graphics cards, the 6800gt still has its moments, but the 7800gt/gtx is whats really doing the damage right now... if you wanna learn, do what i did... look around this forum, go to newegg or something compare alot of things... type in parts that you think you like and see what comes up

ahh.. i forgot to mention the ati x1900xt... that is whats doing the best as of now... hopefully the 7900 gtx will overcome the ati beast.... and the geforce 8 is due around the time of vista.. that will be the beast of graphics cards... i can't wait :)

i won't tell you i learned everything.. but i will tell you the first day i came here i was a complete idiot and didnt even know what integrated video was.... or that there was anything better than my compaqs "xpress200 chipset"

i won't tell you i learned everything.. but i will tell you the first day i came here i was a complete idiot and didnt even know what integrated video was.... or that there was anything better than my compaqs "xpress200 chipset"

You just made it to my sig... ahahah

hahaha... ya thast some pretty funny, stuff, i wouldnt mind at all.... i was a complete moron before... but i know much more now! reading is power! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom