Why isn't my computer running games well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukenukem75

Solid State Member
I've been upgrading my computer for the last few months trying to figure out why I run newer games like crap. In the process, I've spent about 250$ and I've gained about 15fps in most games going from a 9700 pro to a 6800gs. I have this right now:

P4 3.0E
6800 GS
1gig ram

I've reformatted my computer 3 times, I've installed the latest drivers, my 3d mark 05 score is 5000, but I get about 30-35 fps in most new games. Someone please try to help me out.

What brand GS and ram do you have?

I would say it's your processor limiting you. Overclock the card and cpu...depending on the brands.

Almost forgot, I don't think the CPU is the problem because I've seen quite a few Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 2 benchmarks and once you got past like 2.8ghz, there was very little performance increase.

Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 2. I run both games at 10x7 resolution and medium settings with no AA. From what I've seen in benchmarks, I should be able to run at those settings with flying colors but for some reason, they run at about 30fps.

I've been playing COD2 @ 1024x768, high settings on everything, AAx4, using Directx7 instead of 9, not sure on the fps, but no lag, everything is fluid, no problems. I got a 3DMark05 of 2954 with my crappy 9800. See sig for my setup. It sounds like your setup is close to mine. What sort of stuff do you have running that could be hogging up memory? Maybe check that. I'll check my fps to see what I'm getting.

I can run on DX 7 mode and get 100+fps but I know I should be able to run on higher graphic settings and get good fps.

I'm guessing that you are using skt478. Make sure that your AGP slot is set to run at 8x. I guess on that note, make sure that your mobo supports AGP8x.

Also, regarding AGP. Make sure that your AGP Aperature Size is smaller. It shouldn't be any bigger than 128MB. I would actually set mine to 64MB or even 32MB.

It's set at 128 mb and it supports agp 8x. I just don't understand why it appears that the video card is bottlenecking my games but when I run 3d mark, I get a score better than 6800 GT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom