Cold Cathodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousepad

In Runtime
I was thinking about purchasing some of these. Do they do anything for cooling purposes? I see that they are called "cold" cathodes, but they are lights; or do they just emit light that generates no heat. Looks cool though.

They are lights that generate little to no heat. I think they need to put "cold" in the title because otherwise, nobody will buy them with the assumption that they give off heat and harm their precious 'puters.

actually they can put out quite a bit of heat, as i have 9 total in my computer, 11 if the count the dual cathode grills, it creates an extra 5-7F in my case, turning them off lowers my temps quite noticably...

the guy said he had an excessive number in his case and it raised the ambient temperature by virtually nothing... if you just stick a couple in it has no noticable effect on temps!

Yeah, I was thinking about that. LED's give off more light and I know they don't give off heat, so I will have to look into that. I think it would be cool to have a strip of green LED's in a case. Blue has been overused and is no longer that cool looking to me anymore.

ehm, LED don't give off more light hehe.. maybe if you put like 20 LEDs at the bottom of your pc along with a mirror down there, that could work, but i would disagree very much, that cathodes are quite brighter

Most people don't use 9-11 cold cathodes, and I wouldn't call 5-7F a noticeable temp change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom