When is Best Time/Brand?! HIGH END COMPUTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dual-Core processors for Desktops have been out for a long time. Those "Dual Core that are basically Pentium 4" aren't a single pentium 4. Pentium-Ds are 2 Pentium 4s.

i think that's why he doesn't like them, b/c they are still based on a P4. if you have never built a computer, i'd highly recommend watching a friend. it's really friggin simple once you get it down. but if all you've done is replace video cards and ram...i guess it all depends on how deailed you are. motherboards come with some pretty good installation guides nowadays. especially needed when you get cases that have with all the extras...i think the only thing that you might want to experience seeing, is the installation of the processor and heatsink. sometimes gotta be forceful w/ that **** heatsink. but if too much so, might damage the MB....maybe take apart your current machine and put it back together? if you can do that, you can build your own....sorry, my thoughts are all over this morning....neeeeddd cofffeee

i made a comp w/o any knowledge of it. i researched about a week and just built it. so i guess its ez like that. just make sure u r not too drunk.

I have been following the new Intel line pretty closely so let me try to clarify.

The newest current dual core out from Intel out now for the desktop is the 9xx series. These are still P4 based chips but on 65nm. Not worth a purchase IMO.

Core Duo (aka Yonah) has just recently been released for the mobile line. It is a dual core mobile processor based on Intel's new architecture. While these chips are very impressive there is currently no desktop boards out for them yet (it's looking like the AOpen board will be here in March).

Conroe is coming in June/July time frame. It is also a dual core CPU based on the new architecture. This chip is looking to be very impressive, and like what has been said, could very well give the lead back to Intel. Conroe will have initial clocks of ~1.9Ghz to ~2.7Ghz depending on model number, and an XE at 3.33Ghz has also been announced.

Memron will also be coming out probably after Conroe maybe fall time, not sure. This will simply be an updated mobile Core Duo with 64-bit.

On the other side. AMD's new socket and CPU's are coming out I believe this summer as will, AM2. These chips will use DDR2 memory and have higher HTT speeds.

My advice would be to wait until this summer if you can, see how Conroe and AM2 compare to each other and pick the best one.

BTW, if you still end up not feeling comfortable building yourself when you are ready to buy, sites like Monarchcomputers will assemble parts you pick out for you.

yes .. if you could wait ....and dont go with alienware unless you have money or really have to have that case....... i got major jipped for my alienware rig .. but i still love it :D YAY now i can say i hit 300 posts .. and they all were true qualitly posts

Idiotec, nice info, but you are sure about the clockspeeds? I could've sworn that Conroe was 2.33GHz max.

F**K! I take that back. Just checked, you're perfectly right. And whats more, these things are priced beautifully. The 2.4GHz Conroe (and note that this is a Dual Core) is supposed to be $315. Thats better than Athlon 64 X2 4800+ performance, for $500 cheaper. Beautiful.

And the extreme edition...3.33Ghz...I dare you to tell me that a Athlon 64 FX-60 with AM2 enhancements is going to even TOUCH a 3.33GHz Conroe...

Oh !-!ell Yes :)

Yeah, I was really stoked to see how they are going to be priced as well. I agree, the 2.4Ghz also has the 4mb cache and looks to be maybe the best price/performance option. OC that thing to 333x9=3Ghz with DDR2-667 and look out :p

Flanker said:
Now if only they had put the memory controller on die...
I know :(

But.....from what I have ready they are supposed to add an IMC to the server line in 2007, and maybe the desktop line in 2008. We'll see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom