Corrupt files (GRR!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
Ok, I had to reinstall Windows XP (bleh) because unfortunately...it's easier to use than Linux. Anyhow, one of the main reasons that I left Windows in the first place was the amount of error messages that I was getting when I downloaded or installed something.

For example: when I downloaded Firefox just now, while it unzips or whatever, it gives me some random error: 7 Zip error

Also, I just tried to download iTunes and it said that there were corrupt files and I must re download it and try again.

I have reformatted now completely so it can't be a virus or conflict with software anymore...this problem just came up one time and hasn't left since.

What's going down and how do I fix it?

Maybe your hard drive is about to take a dive on you? Have you ran a chkdsk to see if there are any bad sectors or anything of the like?

Yes, nothing comes up.

I had Linux working just fine with no errors for months, I can't imagine why it would be any different in Windows.

I still need help...

Probably software related, you should use winzip/winace for archives, windows zip reader generally sucks..

I know that 7zip is a good archive app but i would say that maybe since most applications are zipped with winrar that might be where your issue lies. Try to install winrar and see if it helps any.

Well I just got Quicktime installed after having one heck of a tough time doing it last night. Every time I downloaded it last night it said something was corrupt or messed up...first try today and it worked.

Firefox closes randomly as well as random freezing and computer crashes (getting annoyed ver quickly).

Did XP install okay? Did it give an error when you installed? It sounds as if something is either corrupt or your HDD is starting to die. Try and run a checkdsk and see if it comes up with anything. If no matter what you do you are having issues between installing and corrupt files then something is wrong. Now with the restart i am getting the feeling that something is wrong.

Makaveli213 said:
Did XP install okay? Did it give an error when you installed? It sounds as if something is either corrupt or your HDD is starting to die. Try and run a checkdsk and see if it comes up with anything. If no matter what you do you are having issues between installing and corrupt files then something is wrong. Now with the restart i am getting the feeling that something is wrong.

Yes, I have run checkdsk and nothing comes up. I have also installed fresh with no errors.

The odd thing is, Linux never gave me anything like this. Fortunately (knocking on wood) it's not restarting and giving me too many problems right now...hopefully that doesn't change.

If it does change, I might try a 20GB HDD laying around and see if it works any better, if that's not the case then what else should I try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom