x2 3800+ overclocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes you get a software package for monitoring temperatures and voltages included with your motherboard. i don't really know any other good temp monitors. that is a reasonable HSF for overclocking. pair it with Arctic Silver 5 and you should get some decent overclocks. as you can see though it is possible to overclock with stock cooling although not the best thing to do. if you don't know much about overclocking do some research. on this forum there are about 3-4 guides plus a FAQ. always ask questions if you're not sure. better to have humility and ask than be out of pocket for new parts.

edit: karpfish24 if those links are supposed to show as images you need to enclose them in
tags

can you guys run prime95 stable for 8 hours+ at stock voltage at 2.5ghz?? I cant, i have to increase my voltage to at least 1.55.................my cpu temp barely goes past 40 though

:sigh: at 1.49 volts i cant seem to OC. i think i am past the hundred or so hours for burn in, but hopefully not because i cant OC at all. how many degress celcius drop should i be looking for for knowing when im past burn in?

I think Prime is a waste of tiem really. If you can play your game for 3 hours straight w/out crashing then your good. No need to do a stress test for 8 hours just to tell you its stable. Just play a game for how ever long you need it and if its fine then leave it alone or bump it up.

in my opinion its not stable unless you can run prime for 24 hours straight.

Why on earth did you OC the CPU but LOWER the vcore?

i know it sound shocking but my cpu is stable so is there any reason why not? operating voltage reccomended by AMD for the x2 is 1.3v-1.4v. so its not too low a voltage and seeing as its stable not to mention cooler at 1.325v what reason would i have for upping the voltage? i didn't just lower the vcore as i overclocked. i had been working the voltage down for a while and i run it stock speed at 1.3v so i worked from there and found that for 2.4ghz i only needed to bump to 1.325v. the only thing to keep in mind if running low vcore is it's ratio to half vdimm, if you are running a high memory voltage.

i know it sound shocking but my cpu is stable so is there any reason why not? operating voltage reccomended by AMD for the x2 is 1.3v-1.4v. so its not too low a voltage and seeing as its stable not to mention cooler at 1.325v what reason would i have for upping the voltage? i didn't just lower the vcore as i overclocked. i had been working the voltage down for a while and i run it stock speed at 1.3v so i worked from there and found that for 2.4ghz i only needed to bump to 1.325v. the only thing to keep in mind if running low vcore is it's ratio to half vdimm, if you are running a high memory voltage.
I didn't question that it is stable. My question is why would you stop when you haven't even hit the upper end of recommended vcore? If it doesn't go any higher when at least bumping it up to 1.4 then I can kind of understand you not wanting to go higher than recommended vcore, and just keep it where it is. But even at that, 1.6 is still completely safe so why not get the most out of it? Are you having temp problems?

As far as vcore/vdimm ratios, that really only comes into play if your using BH-5's or something that require very high vdimm. Most DDR chips aren't going to want more than ~2.9 vdimm anyways, so not really an issue.

well um, he is seeing how far he can go without upping his voltage which is the last thing that you want to do when you overclock. By doing this he is doing a "Hyper Burn-In" by enhancing his chip's OC abilities. I think he will get his 2.8 Ghz with better cooling and he might need a memory divider, that would make a 40% Overclock, pretty impressive IMO, 20% with less than stock voltage is incredible.

But I'm not an overclocker & i probably wont bother until my 3000+ Venice gets old, in which case i want like 2-2.4. I know sumone with one at 3800+ speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom