New Conroe information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they do something clever and get a AMD 64 CPU, and swap around the Heat spreader, and overclock them a bit?

These new CPUs from intel look like they will kill AMD, because it looks like all AMD is doing for AM2 is adding DDR2 support.

I think he's reffering to the fact that these have much higher IPC rates than previous Pentium 4s...I really wish people would do a little bit of research and find the secret of the mysteriously slow Banias/Dothan :rolleyes:

As expected, only the 'extreme edition' will support 1333FSB. Others will be 1066.
That's the only thing that's gonna kill these cores and the selling point, no one is going to buy an extreme edition because not only will it alone cost more but you'll have to buy faster operating memory to compensate it to boot...if they made all cores with 1333FSB they'd have a lot more success however this will make your average Intel cheaper than your average AMD

If they had gotten down the IMC this time there'd be no competetion between these things and the AMD cores...BUT like I've said that's really what's gonna cost them in the end although I do like the idea of unified cache to compensate and the simple fact that they're still bumping up cache size which will let them take off in rendering and workstation enviroments

The Extreme Edition of the Conroe processor will operate at 3.33GHz, sport 1333MHz processor system bus and 4MB cache. Thermal envelope of the part should be 95W.
If they can price that right, it's not even going to be in the same league as the FX series

It makes me laugh, I hear all these people talking about upgrading for AM2. It really looks like intel has won this battle before it even started. I think I know what CPU I'll get for my next upgrade (should be around the time of U2007).

That's the only thing that's gonna kill these cores and the selling point, no one is going to buy an extreme edition because not only will it alone cost more but you'll have to buy faster operating memory to compensate it to boot...if they made all cores with 1333FSB they'd have a lot more success however this will make your average Intel cheaper than your average AMD

If they had gotten down the IMC this time there'd be no competetion between these things and the AMD cores...BUT like I've said that's really what's gonna cost them in the end although I do like the idea of unified cache to compensate and the simple fact that they're still bumping up cache size which will let them take off in rendering and workstation enviroments
I totally agree, as you mentioned, one way Intel compensates for the lack of IMC is with more L2 cache. I think that, and some OC'ing should make up for a lot of the bandwidth issues that come from using FSB.

I am thinking the 2.4Ghz model sounds like a great buy for $315. It is the lowest model that has the 4mb L2 cache. If they end up clocking well I think there is a very decent chance that you could hit 333FSB at stock multi of 9, hitting 3Ghz and having the full 1333FSB. That would give you one h3ll of a chip of ~$300 bucks.

Oh man, I hope they clock well :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom