To RAID or not to RAID...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 120gb Seagate cudas in RAID0 and i love it. Especially when playing bf2 and you load the game 10 seconds before anyone else. hehehehe. I was accused of having speed hacks because i had captured 1 control point before anyone was even in the game with me. anyway......i would get two drives and then RAID them and then get one drive for a backup. The only places you will notice a differece are when your loading something or writing.

What HAVOC also said is also a good thing too but if you have alot of very important data that you CANT lose dont go with RAID0, then go with RAID1 or RAID5.

hey, do the drives need to be the same, size speed, make ect to do a raid?
why is it risky?

The drives have to be roughly the same size so were talking 250 and 240 or summin like that and i'm not really sure but i think they have to be the same speed. You think about it two drives being written too if one was slower the faster one would be bottlenecked. To be safe i would go with 2 drives with exactly the same specs so that you don't bottleneck them. ;) Its only risky because if one drive fails then you lose all the data as the data is stripped across both drives. But as some guy said earlyer 1 out of 100000 people have a drive failure. I wouldn't worry really cause if you went with 1 drive if that fails you lose the lot as well so its no different from having a single drive just that you get extra speed and space

ok, well heres the situation, i got a 120gb 7k hdd with everything on, i want to wipe that and install a 74gb 10k hdd (which is comming tomorrow) on the 10k hdd i want OS, games and programmes, on the 7k hdd i want just files and music, how exactly do i set this up?

i figure put the xp disk in and format the 7k hdd, thus wiping it, the put the 10k in as master, and 7k as slave, put xp in and install on the 7k, and that should be it, or do i need to install the 7k hdd?

would that work right?

Well the extra cache does make a difference but the 2 in RAID 0 would certainly be better than the single drive. No debate ;) Or you could go one better and get 2 16mb cache drives ;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom