I just dont get it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdeb

Baseband Member
Mak and Warez...thanks for all of your help so far....got a question though.

When I try to boot my moms PC this is what I get:

"Windows cannot start - Windows/System32/Config/System file is missing or corrupt

Insert original Start up disc and press "R" for repair"

Ok, now I've got a cd of XPSP2 - inserted it, nothing..just the same black screen and message.

I just dont get it....is the system COMPLETELY gone given it wont load anything at all? Is there anything I can do other than what I've done so far? All original discs arent there - they misplaced them so I have nothing in that area. Recovery CD was ordered yesterday (takes about a week or so to arrive) but I'm thinking even THAT wont work if it wont load the OS.

:confused: I'm frazzled.....

Thanks
Deb

You must boot off of the CD and enter the recovery console. The files in the CD are in the i386 directory. copy them from there into system32 and say yes to over write. Once done, reboot with the cd out and it should work.

Hi Shawn,

I cant - the system wont do anything at all.....just says the same msg "File missing or corrupt" I cant get into safe mode either....

I think the stupid thing just blew up and thats that. *heavy sighs*

Go into the bios and change the boot order. You have it set to the hard drive first. You need to set it to boot from the cd drive first and it will not even get to the point of displaying that error.

How do I do that?

OMG I'm willing to take a bat to this system *small laugh*...I think I'm gonna cry:(

EDIT: I should mention that Mak told me when the screen loads up it should say Press F2 to enter set up to get into the BIOS. It doesnt....it keeps saying the same error over and over....

When you crank the machine keep pressing F2. Some machines are "DEL" and Compaqs can be F10. Keep pressing either of them until you get what you want.

Shawn....F10 brought up Starting System Recovery, so I went over to my parents and this is what happend.

Ok...there are 2 options - one says System Restore (to try it first) the other says System Recovery as the second option. Tried them BOTH - nothing...back to the same #(@)(@ screen as always.

I cant get to the bios - I cant get past the file corrupt or missing screen that keeps repeating itself.

Anyone else know what to do?

Try a repair install. See the link in my signature for the instructions. You will not loose data however backing it up first is always a good idea.

Shawn,

It wont work - its been tried. Nothing will load up on this thing...

Bat in hand...I'm ready to take it out in all honesty.

Anyone need parts?

there's my girl Deb!!! Maybe this will help....Do you have a usb keyboard? If you do, sometimes they dont work when you need them to so if you have a ps/2 handy or a usb to ps/2 converter, try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom