$1400 Build- Review and Comment Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

persianxballer

In Runtime
This build is for a family friend and he wants the best well-rounded build he can get under $1400. Please review my decisions and tell me if I should change anything before ordering.

CPU- AMD64 X2 3800+- (Already Bought- $270)
Mobo- Asus A8N-E
Ram- 2GB (1GBx2) Corsair XMS (Already Bought- $192)
Hard Drives- 2x 250GB WD SATA II 16MB hard drive
PSU- Antec TruePower 550W
Case- Cooler Master Centurion Case
Sound Card- Creative XiFi XtremeMusic (Already Bought- $118)
Video Card- XFX 6800GS XXX Edition
CPU Cooler- Zalman 7000B-AlCu
Video Card Cooler- Zalman VF700-Cu
Keyboard- Microsoft Bluetooth Optical Desktop
OS- Windows XP Pro Upgrade

Please tell me if I can make anything better for equal or less money. Thanks in advance.

'Video Card Cooler- Zalman VF700-Cu'

why bother? my evga 6800gs idles at 41 and I've overclocked it and still never seen it get even close to 60, which is fine. You can overclock these to at least 500/1150 and still have very low temps, with the stock cooler.

Take that $40, get him to go in another $45 and upgrade the video card to a evga 7800gt.

Call of duty 2 will thank you.

macdawg said:
'Video Card Cooler- Zalman VF700-Cu'

why bother? my evga 6800gs idles at 41 and I've overclocked it and still never seen it get even close to 60, which is fine. You can overclock these to at least 500/1150 and still have very low temps, with the stock cooler.

Take that $40, get him to go in another $45 and upgrade the video card to a evga 7800gt.

Call of duty 2 will thank you.

I agree that the cooler isn't reall needed, but with all these new cards and stuff suposedly coming out soon I wouldnt dish out the money for a 7800gt. They are great cards adn all but they might be pretty wimpy when the new ones come out. Or it could be the other way and they aren't that much better than the 7800, but I would doubt that.

This is the main reason I decided to go wth a 6800GS. So I could still have a decent card, but I could still afford a better one if the new that come out are so amazing that I just have to have one.

Thanks for responding about the video card, but could you guys also comment on the rest of the system.
Also, is your 6800GS quiet with the stock fan? dba?

the rest of the system looks really good, I don't think my 6800gs is loud, I don't know why you'd want 2 250 GB hard drives though, that is a ridiculous amount of storage. I think two 80's in raid 0 would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom